cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WECHAT - AVOID - Potential Safety Concerns !!

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144416 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Just received this emaill from my childs school.....

I have no knowledge of it myself but I will be looking into it........

Subject: E-SAFETY CONCERN - "WECHAT" 

Dear parents and carers

We have received an email from the Local Authority asking schools to pass on their concerns regarding an application called "WECHAT".

We understand that this application is free to download from the app store and that once a user has done so, they simply have to open it and shake their phone or device in order to connect with anyone else in the world who happens to be shaking their phone/device at the same time.  It has been reported that a child from another school has been sent an inappropriate image as a result of using this application. 

***** is addressing this with pupils  through our ICT curriculum lessons.  We are therefore bringing this to the attention of parents to make sure you are  aware of the risks associated with this particular application.

Kind regards

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the heads up MI5.

Technology is not always our friend !

It is indeed in the App Store as a free download.
Message 2 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

It's in the Google Play Store as well.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone see anything about the shaking the phone to connect to anyone else shaking their phone at the same time ?
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sensationalism from the school.

WeChat is another social/IM app that is available on most if not all smartphone operating systems. It is similar to iMessage, WhatsApp, BBM, Kik, Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, Skype...and any one of these could have been used anonymously to send a child an "inappropriate image".

If you are going to allow your child to not only have a smartphone, but also allow them to use any of the above apps that potentially allow them to connect to strangers, then you run the risk of them being exposed to "inappropriate images".

The single distinguishing featuer of WeChat is that it gives the user the ability to shake their phone and see who else is online and shaking their phone at the same time. They can then make the connection and start chatting. WeChat will ask you to approve any persons before they can send you a message.

Rather than making parents aware of a single App through which a picture has been sent, the school would be better off issuing guidance on internet or smartphone safety to the parents and advising them to discuss with their children the importance on staying safe online and to be very careful who they connect and chat with using these apps...and NEVER to give away personal information.

As for the shake feature: http://www.wechat.com/en/features.html#shake

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the "dangers" of using social media in general were better taught in Schools to young kids, there wouldn't be as much of a problem IMO.

That's why the minimum legal age for having a Facebook account is 13 (should be 18 IMO)

Message 6 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144416 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
As I've stated before, many times, I'd rather go down the education route with my kids rather than leaving them to find out for themselves.... I posted this as it was something new to me (I consider myself quite tech savvy ;)) and maybe, just maybe, it will help someone else out there.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's nothing to stop children younger than 13 creating a FB account either, all they need to do is enter a false date of birth.  My cat has his own page (I know, I know!) and as he's only 8 I had to put in a different year of birth - I'm sure many children do the same thing.

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very true.

I don't see an easy way of stopping the Facebook scenario apart from parental intervention. And then that's easy to say !
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info!

Do you think that social media and kids is something that should be covered in the digital safety section? I know you guys are super savvy but we shouldn't assume that every parent is as well informed as yourselves.

Thoughts?

Message 10 of 14