Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony mobile, the end?

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
When rumours get louder, there's generally some element down the line that has some truth.
The latest rumour doing the rounds is that Sony will close down the Xperia wing after releasing the Z4.
My personal take on the rumour is that I believe it could happen very easily. Sony are a broken shadow of what they once were, and can not afford to prop up failing divisions no longer. They did it with VAIO, just after releasing one of the best ultra books created, they shut up shop for the computing wing.
With Xperia phones not seeing the sales they deserve, or getting the recognition they deserve either, a very real axe is hanging over Xperia.

More info:
http://beta.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/following-vaio-sony-s-phone-an...
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
It will be sad. The Z range are fantastic phones.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought Sony were coming back on top with the Xperia phones & the Z range. How wrong was I
Message 3 of 18

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Great phones, shocking losses.
Message 4 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 123084 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Great phones, shocking losses.

But why the losses @viridis ? I honestly thought this was a brand name that much of the public loved.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 18

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

The Sony brand name is synonymous  with  the manufacture of high quality products. Personally I'm surprised and a little saddened. 

Message 6 of 18

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Because Sony used to be, what apple is now.
With exception of playstation Sony have been dropping like a lead weight since the late 90s.
In the mobile market, there are two rulers, they make good profit due to the sheer volume of parts and assembly and it's relevant discount.
then there are the second tier manufacturers, HTC, LG, Sony.
They don't make as much, if any profit and they have to prop up the mobile division.
Bottom line is, Sony cannot afford to anymore.
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be bad for competition too and could result in an increase in prices.

That said there is stronger competition coming out of China in Xiaomi who are now releasing phones in competition with iPhone at half the price.
Message 8 of 18

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
It would be bad for competition too and could result in an increase in prices.

That said there is stronger competition coming out of China in Xiaomi who are now releasing phones in competition with iPhone at half the price.

Not surprising as they make most of the present iphone. ..

Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is such sad news if true.

Sony have been making quality handsets since i can remember and their Z range specifically is fantastic.

Whether this is because of the cheaper quality handsets coming in from China or the bewildering gaining popularity of Apple's products, this is sad

Message 10 of 18