cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So how long do you think you've been on the internet?

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Inspired by this article on Mental Floss, how many of you can remember the early internet (use this website: http://www.404pagefound.com) where flash, javascript and a whole host of bug ridden nightmares we have today were non-existant.

Lets just say, I remember visiting Jerry and David's Guide to the World Wide Web before the name change! 

If you're bored this weekend and if the weather is poor on the bank holiday try amusing yourself with a historical trip of how website design has changed. Start with o2 10 years ago: 29 Aug 2005 and well, just find yourself being whimsical over WAP, visualise your self doing video calling and many many more things we never actually do because it never works anyway wink

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good post @sheepdog i remember when I first got the Internet in the late 90's, I got home & plugged it in dial up at the time. Thought I'd have a couple hours look at the Internet, next thing I knew was it was 6.30 in the morning & I had to be up at 8.00, time flies when your surfing away

Message 2 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Good old dialup internet on Zen I think it was. I wouldn't allow the kids on it until after 6pm when the cost went down to 1p/minute. A few hours on the web every night led to some scary phone bills back in the 80s!

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123021 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

Fascinating to click on the 'old' O2 link....On NME Tour they were advertising the Kaiser Chiefs...

Capture.O2.JPG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Too long and not long enough at the same time. Today its hard to define the internet as everything of "mine" is connected. Heating system, CCTV, cable box and more are all constantly "on the internet'.

I miss the days of dail up and images loading a, erm, bit at a time wink

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

9 years on my current email

say 3 - 4 years before that on another email

before that I was on an intense womens returning to work programme at the local college, central government funded

I remember my son running a big bill up once, it may have been to do with tech games, but I had to put a stop / limit on the phone, I remember

so from the beginning at college = it was the computer knowledge I wanted, as well as the RSA certificate ... I'd say, with stops & starts about 21 years

Message 6 of 8

blissgirl
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 7320 Posts
  • 46 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Interesting article @sheepdog thanks for posting slight_smile
iPhone 15 plus 128Gb light pink (with Vodafone) slight_smile
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes @sheepdog good topic, always good to see your posts slight_smile