Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card scam

micmac
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

J had a phone call yesterday informing me that a lot of O2 customers were having connectivity issues. I was told that O2 was sending out new sim cards by post. But something didn't seem right about this, the caller gave some personnel information about both mine and my wife's phone but had tried to send an email to an old contact address. He also tried to confirm a personnel question that I had mistakenly given over last year due to the 40% discount scam. I immediately disconnected the call. Has anyone else had this situation / call before.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6659 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

That's a new one. Scammers are forever thinking up new ways.

They obviously still have information from the last time. 

Please, please, change that security question and your login password.

If anyone comes on the phone saying they are from O2, ring off and forward their number to 7726.

Phishing, Smishing & Scams. Latest info & advice. 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 4

Kazbot74
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just got the same call, "the merger between virgin and O2 will require a new is card and we will send this in the post, please give me your email address so I can send you the link"
But the call came through on my Three network mobile number - which was confusing at first because I do manage two O2 accounts for my son's mobiles, which made me think I may have inadvertently put my number as a contact tel.  Anyway, the line dropped twice and he persisted, his persistence agitated me so I refused to give details.  He hung up and never called back. 
You've basically got to be wary of a foreign accent with an American twang and being called 'MAAAM' at the end of every sentence.. 

Message 3 of 4

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5943 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@Kazbot74 

One of the routine complaints on this forum is that O2 promise to 'phone customers and then do not do so.

Hence, I would be highly sceptical of anyone who 'phones and claims to be from O2.

That is irrespective of their accent, "twang" or terminology. Scammers claiming to be from O2 seem to be based in many countries ! 👍   

Message 4 of 4