cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News: Parents unaware of dangers faced by children on smartphones

Anonymous
Not applicable
HEADLINE : "Parents unaware of dangers faced by children on smartphones"

With a massive majority of households now on the internet wether at home or on their smartphones , how can parents not know of the possible pit falls and dangers of smartphones, and what they can access !

With so much help and advice available I'm dumbfounded that a person in today's society can be unaware.

Source : BBC NEWS.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26121434
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Down to the parents in my book they should know what there kids are doing and if they can't be trusted they don't get the phone simple
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Pure ignorance. Some parents don't check what their kids are doing on line or on their phone. I do and have been told I'm invading my sons privacy, but I'd rather invade it and know he is safe.

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well said wanty totally agree
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even if you trust your kids explicitly you can't take into account who they're connecting to. We have strict rules about who he can speak to, he has to know the people in real life and must be able to tell me something about them if I ask.

A friends daughter was adding anyone who asked and was getting some very unsavory comments on her profile from adult males.
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a very responsible stance I admire it
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

As in the news story iPhones for example have a parental restriction facility but it not well known as a facility.

Every situation will be different and would need to be addressed accordingly.

Trust has to be a factor.

Parental guidelines has to be another.

Message 7 of 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Sorry but I can't believe that in this day and age parents aren't aware of the dangers posed to youngsters using a smartphone.

More likely that they are just totally irresponsible.

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Years ago when I first purchased a desktop PC a person tried to groom my daughter ,which kick started me and her mum into taking much more interest in what happens on the internet so we could be more savvy.

The PC was moved into the living room for one.
Message 9 of 15

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

When my daughter was younger, I had a proxy server inline (built into a firewall device) which gave the ability to monitor all traffic through it, and found some unsavoury things coming through some of the IRC rooms including a virus that necessitaed rebuilding the OS on the PC she was using. IRC got blocked after that at the firewall.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 10 of 15