Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App developed to help detect earthquakes

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I'm always surprised by the ways new technology can be used in ways not specifically intended. 

Several apps have been developed that use the accelerometers in mobile phones to detect and measure earthquakes as they happen and provide an early warning to people who can be affected. 

Have a read here - http://learningenglish.voanews.com/content/article/3194948.html

Martin

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123258 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

I see this particular app is only available on Android devices so far...

My question would be related to it's validity...ie how much of an early warning system would it be?

If it gives you enough time to get clear of any imminent quake....then yes I can see it would be useful....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 17

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff I think it would only give a few minutes at most which is not a lot of time but would at least allow you to prepare and maybe get to a door frame or outside.

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 3 of 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23177 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

The short video accompanying the article says that at the moment it would only give a couple of seconds warning, and the phone would need to be on a flat surface. Probably enough time to put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye. It's a good idea, but I think it probably needs a lot more development.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 17

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Bambino Agreed further development is needed but the idea definitely has potential. 

signature

Message 5 of 17

Bambino
  • 23177 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

@Martin-O2 Any development in this field, particularly for underdeveloped countries where earthquakes cause so much devastation, is more than welcome and I applaud the research. There is definitely potential there. This is certainly a good starting point.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 17

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Bambino Its great that it requires no new technology and as smart phones are everywhere now, even in less developed parts of the world these kinds of apps could become very useful in the future. 

signature

Message 7 of 17

Bambino
  • 23177 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

@Martin-O2 I think it's great that someone is working on this, and hopefully it will be of some help in the not too distant future. I don't, however, think that smartphones are as everywhere in less developed countries as you might think. Possibly in urban areas, but maybe not in remote rural places, and can people in underdeveloped places actually afford to keep their phones connected to a network all the time? Also, the technology as it is at the moment requires the phone to be on a flat surface. I don't think that's going to help someone working in a field with his phone in his pocket, and the earth is opening under his feet to swallow him up. It has to start somewhere though, and this is as good a starting point as any.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 17

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
One problem,
This would have to run in the background 100% of the time. Plus... Most error reports are now sent by shaking the phone, so by the time you recharge your battery, and then cancel the Google maps error report send notification, it will probably be too late.
However I have a 100% guaranteed fix for this.... If the room is shaking, it probably is an earthquake. Checking on Facebook or Twitter will confirm.
Message 9 of 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123258 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

However I have a 100% guaranteed fix for this.... If the room is shaking, it probably is an earthquake. Checking on Facebook or Twitter will confirm.

LOL which would presuppose you have access to FB or Twitter wherever you are at the time....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 17