cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"All The Data You Need in Europe” - Yeah Right! (O2Travel)

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I am new to O2 and I have been pretty happy, that is until now.

As I travel abroad a lot, O2 Travel was one of the main reasons for me going with O2. What a mistake that now seems to be.

I fully understand the need to throttle bandwidth, but the throttling is so aggressive that I cannot even load 19 out of 20 webpages. I have read that the throttling limits your speed to 15Kbps. However, it is taking as long as 10 minutes to load a single webpage, including BBC mobile website pages.

Selling this as a service where you can use “All The Data You Need in Europe” is very, very misleading. As it stands, the service is totally unusable, even for the most basic tasks once throttling has kicked in.

In case anyone is wondering, I have tried both roaming partner networks where I am in Spain and both are the same. Other users in the same room on these networks are getting 18Mbps and 16Mbps respectively. Before the throttling kicks in, the service is very fast.

This is wrong to offer “All The Data You Need in Europe” and yet cripple the service to the point where it is for all intents and purposes very much a data limit.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144513 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
I assume the throttled speed would be the same as it used to be when you went over on your contract minutes, ie, completely useless for all but whatsapp, BBM and iMessage text only.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a sad time when now you're supposed to assume unlimited is actually limited
Message 12 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 123025 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
It's a sad time when now you're supposed to assume unlimited is actually limited

It never really affects me Mel. I go abroad often and now I have had a WiFi 'conversion'. Its that or nothing...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 27

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

As regards internet access that has always been the case.

ISPs and mobile network providers have their own version of the Shorter Oxford Dictionary.

Another example is "upgrade"....this actually just means a new contract using a different device to the one you have now.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 14 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I've lodged a complaint, as I must have reliable data whilst abroad. We will see how it goes.
Message 15 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
The very best of luck with this.

I wish you well.
Message 16 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!
Message 17 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 123025 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

And please come back and update us? Many of us travel abroad a lot so would be interesting to see any response...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 27

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I travel overseas many times whether Europe or further afield. I can honestly say I've never had any problems. My choice is to use wifi combined with a local simcard. Know before you go, research is the way to go. We have some horrendous stories on here and roaming is always a worrry to be honest. Before you go next time, send me a PM and hopefully I can help. Many people giving you advice have never been overseas. I know the problems and the way to get round them....

Message 19 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 123025 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Many people giving you advice have never been overseas. I know the problems and the way to get round them....

As you know @jonsie  I am not one of 'those people'. Fortunately for me I took the advice of yourself, MI5 and Bambino. My bills when I go abroad now are not much higher than when at home

I found my eureka moment with Wifi...and all the other apps that can be used...Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 27