Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the O2 network so bad?

BearHug
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So a few months ago I joined O2 to take advantage of the free EU roaming and also the Virgin Media free upgrade. I'm paying £10 a month for 30GB of data, which is now double to 60GB thanks to the Volt deal. While I am pretty happy with the price and the amount of data I am getting, I am not at all happy with the data speeds I am getting, at all! It's basically unusable.

I recently took a visit to North Wales and visited many different towns over a 3 days weekend but the internet was pretty much completely unusable. Despite having full 4G signal in most places, some speed tests were completely failing, eventually got some speed tests work and got between 0.01 Mbps and 0.8 Mbps down.

In Liverpool, standing outside central station, a speed test was 0.06 Mbps down on full 4G signal. Outside M&S arena, on half 4G signal, speed tests completely fail. I tried for an hour, couldn't get on the internet at all. Even throughout the city where there was 5G, the speed tests didn't really get any better than 5 Mbps.

In Manchester, standing in St Peters Square, again on full signal, speed test are typically under 1 Mbps down. Moving around the city the speed tests can improve to 10 Mbps, but for 4G in 2022 even that's very poor.

In Warrington, again the best download was 3.3 Mbps, with an upload of 0.16 Mbps upload.

The train line between Liverpool and Manchester, while there is always coverage, the internet is completely unusable for most of the journey.

I was almost starting to believe my phone was broken, but having taken two trips to Europe since joining O2, I don't believe it is. Having spent a time in four European countries, I haven't seen a speed test less than 64 Mbps, with speeds up to 155 Mbps 

So why is O2 so terrible in the UK?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

RedWeasel
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your other reply @pgn, as for this one, 5 weeks oh crikey! It's my local one too!

I have also signed up for updates to the network so hopefully they'll let me know when it's working again. However, I can't register to use the My Network app because...I can't get a text with a verification code because the network is down...

Message 11 of 28

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36884 Posts
  • 237 Topics
  • 1655 Solutions

"However, I can't register to use the My Network app because...I can't get a text with a verification code because the network is down..."

futurama-bender.gif

😖😆

Perhaps you can catch a signal somewhere today that lets you register and receive that SMS, @RedWeasel. Good luck!

Message 12 of 28

Darc_420
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Last time mast in my area was fixed it took them 5months for them to be bothered to fix it and now its broke again been broke for a month have a feeling its going to take them another 5 month for them to get off they're asses and fix the godamn thing its ridiculous how can a network company be so lazy n treat they're customers this way and not just they're customers giffgaff's aswell as they run off the o2 network. Worst absolutely worst network in all of history

Message 13 of 28

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10349 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3031 Solutions

You do realise they could be waiting for parts which with the current shortages in components and semi conductors, means waiting times of months from an order been placed..

It could also be that the mast is been vandalised, or local NIMBY's and councillors wont let them fix issues without permits etc, and planning permission, or the landlord wont allow access to the land..  and all these things take time...

The reason why it takes so long are endless, and EE, Voda and 3 all have the same problem..  

they could just decommission the mast, and say no coverage in this area, I know of one network that has done this...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 14 of 28

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6885 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1532 Solutions

Local EE mast near me was out of action. Landowner wanted to renegotiate rental and refused access.

It has now been replaced by a new mast elsewhere but it has taken just under 2 years

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 15 of 28

Werehamster
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Recently moved over to O2 from Three (part of the Virgin Media deal) and the coverage in parts of my home town of Warrington (Cheshire) is unusable.  If I use the OoKla Speedtest app it actually fails to able to test because it's so slow.  Some parts of Warrington have 5G and it's fast but some parts of the town centre and towards Winwick at shocking.  Very disappointing.  They say a mast is not working properly but it's been like this for ages.

Message 16 of 28

Enlli
  • 6885 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1532 Solutions

Know Warrington well and yes there are areas where the network is severely congested. The 5G expansion is recent and has improved things in Central Warrington, but that's going to move slowly.

Last time there I had to switch my data connection over to Vodafone 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 17 of 28

sjpno1
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have loged a fault with O2 back in October and have been receiving updates via text nothing has happened this could also effect smart meters as they rely on mobile network connection.

Text update from O2 Network Update: RH6

Sorry, a phone mast close to you isn't working.

Looks like a phone mast near you isn't working as it should, sorry. There’s a line of sight problem at the site. It seems to be multiple tree's getting in the way of things and this means your phone signal may go up and down until we can get that sorted. While we do this, you might have some trouble with your calls, texts, and data. We will update you by Friday 13th February 2023. >>> How long can this go on I have 4 o2 mobiles and now a new smart meter from Octopus Energy that's on the o2 network that's having trouble connecting....

Message 18 of 28

Enlli
  • 6885 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1532 Solutions

Iine of sight problems are particularly difficult. If a mast has to be moved or made higher then it's major work requiring planning permission etc.

If trees have to be topped or cut down it is a question of who is responsible and again permission has to be gained from the relevant authorities.

We had a similar problem with Vodafone. Took over 12 months as Sustrans and Network Rail argued who was responsible for the trees.

Message 19 of 28

Elixier22
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I think due diligence is necessary before joining any network. You need to make sure the network is suitable meeting your needs going forward. O2 is the slowest of the four networks and really is the value of the four. It is for those that need a connection but don't want to spend a fortune on it it is for those that don't particularly need super  fast connectivity for their YouTube and broadband and everything else. They are not the fastest not by a long shot and they don't have the best coverage either but if you just want a cheap network that basically works everywhere then O2 really is for you. If you want speed and coverage then you're going to go to EE. Every network is different and they all have different characteristics and they all perform differently different areas. O2 is. heavily oversubscribed but they are usable. If you're making a phone call or just watching YouTube then it doesn't really matter what the speeds are. Also I travel to the EU and all four lot and I've seen speeds well into single figures especially in the sticks so that just simply isn't true.  

Message 20 of 28