Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scams and scammers

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5985 Posts
  • 103 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

There have been a number of posts on here recently about scams, scammers and how folks have been caught out or have had a near miss.

Tom Whipple has posted on Twitter about how he was nearly caught out. Others have then posted about their experiences. As the thread carries some detail about how scammers operate, I believe that it is worth browsing. It is here :-

(20) Tom Whipple on X: "Because I think it's important to share what happens when you make a total *...

https://twitter.com/whippletom/status/1712887547087507777?t=UZPHCW-_zvcIzL1QNcT1Lw&s=03

I hope that the link works for everyone. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23157 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@Oxonian Clicking on the link just brings up the initial tweet, or X, or whatever the hell it is you're supposed to call it now. Maybe you have to have an account to see the rest of the story. 

It does amaze me with all that's been written about how to protect yourself from these scams people still fall for them and lives get ruined.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 4

Oxonian
  • 5985 Posts
  • 103 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@Bambino 

Sorry, yes, I had overlooked that Twitter is now called "X". I think that you might need to log-in to see the entire conversation ; sometimes I can see them without logging in but other times I have to log-in first. 

I agree with you that it is surprising that folks fall for scams, but what the thread seems to suggest is that the scams and scammers are constantly evolving and that it only takes once to get caught off-guard, no matter how vigilant you usually are. 

Message 3 of 4

Oxonian
  • 5985 Posts
  • 103 Topics
  • 22 Solutions