cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requiring a credit referral despite NO CREDIT HISTORY.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely furious with O2 today. Went to cancel and pay off my existing contract and begin a new one with a new phone (partly due to being sick of BlackBerry and all its problems and also to do with requirements for a new job) and was then told I had been denied! Apparently I had to have a credit referral, which is ridiculous as I have literally no credit history? I have a debit card, have never owned a credit card, and in my 7+ years of being a loyal O2 customer I've never missed a payment!

Has this ever happened to anyone else before? I did as I was told and emailed them and then was informed via automated email I might have to wait ten working days before getting a response! I've seen previous threads relating to this and it says about being on the electoral roll at your current address, which I am as I voted in the last election from my current address. I can't think of a single reason why this has happened to me and am seriously considering just cancelling my contract and taking a new one out elsewhere.

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Applying for a phone contract is asking for credit and Stuart could be right, you don't have a traceable credit history.

You might be better waiting for your existing contract to expire and going through the direct upgrade route.

We can only guess here at why you may have been refused, only O2 will know the reason.

You could ask if you can speak to the Credit Referrals team yourself.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have no credit history then that's probably the reason why you were declined
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I... what? Sorry I don't mean to sound ignorant but, what??? A lack of credit history is bad credit history? I wasn't trying to pay for anything through credit! I had the money there with me on my debit card and was assuming it would just be taken from my account as per usual with my every bill as O2 have all my account details, obviously. I'm already on a monthly contract with them, so I'm just a little confused by your answer, sorry.

Message 3 of 19

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Applying for a phone contract is asking for credit and Stuart could be right, you don't have a traceable credit history.

You might be better waiting for your existing contract to expire and going through the direct upgrade route.

We can only guess here at why you may have been refused, only O2 will know the reason.

You could ask if you can speak to the Credit Referrals team yourself.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sigh 😞 Okay. Thank you both for your replies. I'm just so incredibly frustrated and confused. Hopefully O2 get back to me quickly.

Message 5 of 19

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I hope they do and it's successful, it's not good being told that.

Message 6 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Call 202 from your phone go through to upgrades (it may take a few mins) and ask to do a buy out. its the favourable option for you the customer and the company

Hope it helps

Message 7 of 19

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I think the OP has tried that.

Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the same problem recently when I was trying to get a new phone contract.. I've only had 1 debit card, and on that debit card I had the neccasary funds in my account to pay for the contract, and I would do for the whole 24 month period. But no, thats not good enough apparently. I spoke to a "Guru" and they said theirs no way around this. They wanted me to pay a 526 pound, three month deposit for the phone! All just becuase I have no credit history. You could try talking to the sales team over the phone or go in strore. Apart from that then I dont know what to do.

Message 9 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 123258 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had the same problem recently when I was trying to get a new phone contract.. I've only had 1 debit card, and on that debit card I had the neccasary funds in my account to pay for the contract, and I would do for the whole 24 month period. But no, thats not good enough apparently. I spoke to a "Guru" and they said theirs no way around this. They wanted me to pay a 526 pound, three month deposit for the phone! All just becuase I have no credit history. You could try talking to the sales team over the phone or go in strore. Apart from that then I dont know what to do.

This particular issue was raised on the news recently....Someone 'famous' had a problem also getting a mobile contract. Apparently it was because she had NO credit history as she paid cash for everything. Martin Lewis from Money Matters suggested it is actually better to have a poor credit history, than no credit history

A sign of the times I suppose but they do need to protect themselves...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 19