Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished mobile 'phones

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5853 Posts
  • 100 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

With many individuals and businesses upgrading their handsets on a regular basis, there is a steady stream of 'phones being traded in and finding their way onto the secondhand market. There are bargains available but care needs to be taken to procure an appropriate 'phone at a good price. This article provides a good starting point :-

Best places to buy refurbished second-hand phones UK | Evening Standard

https://www.standard.co.uk/shopping/esbest/gadgets-tech/phones/best-places-buy-second-hand-refurbish...

My only venture into buying a refurbished 'phone was about five years ago when I purchased a spare handset from Argos. It came at a good price, had a 12 month guarantee and proved to be a solid buy. If you are buying on a budget, this is a possible route to consider.   

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36089 Posts
  • 229 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

Handsets, @Oxonian - removes the need for an apostrophe to indicate it's really a telephone you're writing about. In any case, it's an extraneous apostrophe now:  https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/phone

👍🏼

Message 2 of 4

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5853 Posts
  • 100 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

That's something of a matter of taste and fancy @pgn and there are suggestions elsewhere online that the apostrophe should be used. But I like word "handsets" and actually used it elsewhere in the same post. It's a good workaround.   

Have you @pgn ever used a refurbished handset ? if so, was your experience positive ? 

Message 3 of 4

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36089 Posts
  • 229 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

I have only ever used a refurbished handset when I needed a loaner from the shop (those were the days) as mine was in for repair, @Oxonian - it worked, so... I've never tried a refurbished handset otherwise. Others in the family have gone down the refurbished route, with varying degrees of success - mainly as they are PAYG and budget dictated the purchase, as you mention above.

Message 4 of 4