cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Annoyed customer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Up until today, i thought that o2 were a decent company, now i see that they are just like all the rest of the thieving telecom companies, who commit fraudulant activity around the UK,.

Let me explain.

In Jan 2014 i started taxying, and purchased a contract, 2 year, with a nexus 5 phone, for £27 per month.

In sept 2014 i left the job due to earnings being crap, and not being able to support myself.. ie £150 for 80+ hours a week.

Up until December 8th my bills were paid every single month.

On december 8th my bill was due, i couldnt pay it.. on the 22nd december o2 turned off my phone.

on december 27th i tried to pay the bill via the automated payment line, but couldnt (phone turned off). also i had no internet at the time.

Now i have no objection to them turning the phone off, even though it was pretty quick 14 days.. when i was doing this it was 28 days minimum before termination could be processed..

anyway, as i said, no problem

Today jan 22 2015 i paid my entire bill in full.. (£65) that is the december payment and the jan payment *which isnt yet overdue.

i phone o2 to be told in no uncertain terms,. You NEED TO PAY A RECONNECT FEE..

WWWWHHHHHAAAATTTTT

Im sorry.. but

1. i pay you £27 a month for a phone, I normally use no where near the amount of alloted minutes..

2. i have a 2 year contract.. ie YOU ARE BY LAW, OBLIGED TO PROVIDE ME WITH ANOTHER YEAR ON THE CONTRACT

3, disconnecting someone, and then charging them for reconnection is paramount to fraudulant activity.. (good money making scam)

NOW..

As i said, i have no problem with the disconnection..

my problem comes from the fact, i am no longer working, i am struggling but managing to pay the monthly bills.. I have one year to go on the contract, and now you demand more money (*EVEN THOUGH THE BILL IS CLEAR) Sorry not going to happen.

I am currently speaking with legal representation with regards to this..

i was basically told on the phone,.. either pay the connection fee, or pay the contract off.. (and people wonder why people end up in debt)

I still have a 12 month contract.. IF YOU ARE REFUSING TO RECONNECT THE PHONE< YOU ARE IN BREACH OF THE TERMS OF THE CONTRACT.

not me.......!!!

Keith

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

But in-between your breach and their "breach" they are exercising their right to a reconnection fee, as agreed by you.

Message 11 of 46

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122932 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

However sad this story is (and I do feel for you) there is no doubt that when you signed up for the phone you agreed to the terms and conditions of the contract. As @Bambino says legally you don't have a leg to stand on. however harsh we think it is.

I think any route you take... you will end up with the same answer that you have to pay the re-connection fee or pay to end your contract. Not fair ...but that is the way it is slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

actually,

1. i do not have a contract with them, (i could fight this)

2. my phone was purchased online.. (Have you seen where the terms an conditions are?)

3. its a 2 year contract,.. not a one year contract.

4. i can demand to see a signed contract *which they cannot provide Proving that i agreed to the terms *did my mother order the phone, or my sister for me???????

see they have no leg to stand on.. they either connect the phone and i continue to pay the bill, or i deal with the courts..

Message 13 of 46

MI5
  • 144378 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Let us know how you get on with this please.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

oh and before someone comments about the fact i ahve the phone, im quite happy to send the phone back..

Message 15 of 46

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23079 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

actually,

1. i do not have a contract with them, (i could fight this)

2. my phone was purchased online.. (Have you seen where the terms an conditions are?)

3. its a 2 year contract,.. not a one year contract.

4. i can demand to see a signed contract *which they cannot provide Proving that i agreed to the terms *did my mother order the phone, or my sister for me???????

see they have no leg to stand on.. they either connect the phone and i continue to pay the bill, or i deal with the courts..

You broke the contract. Not O2. You. The Terms & Conditions state:

• 7.2 You may have to pay an unbarring charge and, if relevant, a reconnection charge if the Service is temporarily barred and/or your SIM Card is disconnected from the Network for the reasons stated above. As a condition of unbarring or reconnecting your Service we may require that you set up a direct debit authority for the payment of any future Charges.
  • 7.3 If we bar your Service because you break this Agreement, the Agreement will still continue. You must pay all Charges until the Agreement is correctly ended under paragraph 8.

I suggest that you read the whole of the T & C's here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-mobile-agreement

You are, frankly, wasting your time. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 16 of 46

jonsie
  • 93242 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Legally o2 are sticking to the t&cs you agreed to when you took out the contract. You think now that you can ignore the reconnection fee just because you think it's wrong. Sorry but you can take it to the highest court in the land and you will lose. ...

Message 17 of 46

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

If you own a car regardless of whether you drive it it has to be road-taxed. Unless you specifically say to the DVLA the car is off-the-road. So in that respect, O2 are not aware of everyone's circumstances unless you notify them. 

Unfortunately a contract does mean you are obliged to pay your bill on the mandated day unless you are dead or otherwise unable to with enough notification you can arrange films. O2 do have a fair use policy and notification procedure and others ways to put the bill.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 18 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let the OP go through legal advice.

@Bambino is 100% correct. It never ceases to amaze me that people make up the process to sort their own needs and run with it.

You ARE still in contract.
You ARE still liable.

If you don't want to pay the reconnection fee you actually don't have to. It just means you won't be able to use your phone / sim for the next 12 months but you will still have to pay the £27 per month as per your contract and at the end of the contract you will still need to give 30 days notice or you will continue to be charged and will continue to be liable.

We all understand you are not happy but you entered into a contract and o2 are quite rightly expecting you to honour that contract. Until you pay the reconnection fee they are under no obligation to turn your number back on. And they are not breaching your contract on providing service as you haven't paid the reconnection fee.

Sorry @Anonymous

Message 19 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

guys,

let me make something very clear..

I am not arguing about the reconnection fee, or the disconnection which i have stated numerous times.

My point is simple, i cannot afford the connection fee, its going to take another month before i have the money for that.. The point i am making is i still have to pay the contract even though it is not being used.. IE Im not getting a service

If o2 said.. "Ok.. we will postpone the contract for one month till your reconnected (1 month max). (but i still have to do 12 month from then since that is what is left) that would be fine.... BUT NO...  i have to pay the monthly fee too.. NOW>> since i only have about 35 pound a month spare.. IM NEVER going to be able to affiord to get the phone back on. as my monthly bill is £32 GET MY POINT. so im paying for nothing.

thanks..

Message 20 of 46