Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanent closure of O2 retail store tomorrow (Monday) - Cowley, Oxford

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5725 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

I was told by an acquaintance this morning that at 4.00pm tomorrow (Monday), this O2 retail store will close permanently :-

Cowley | O2 Store

https://stores.o2.co.uk/o2-store-cowley

Apparently, the staff are being dealt with by a combination of redundancy and redeployment to other O2 retail stores. 

In terms of distance, the nearest O2 retail stores to Cowley are Oxford city centre, Didcot, Aylesbury and Banbury. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10192 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Oxonian 

No point keeping stores open for the sake of it, and the store is obviously not hitting targets... and rationalisation of the retail estate and with a store less than 3 miles away, it makes sense..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 5

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6610 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Many, but not all, of the stores being closed are franchises.

O2 recently announced the move away from the franchise model.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10192 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

They announced it back in September 2022. but because of the contracts etc in place the closures are gathering steam.. 

https://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/News/article/o2-closes-franchise-business-stores-programme

Wouldnt surprise me if one of the ones in Sheffield closes as it never has any stock of phones in branch

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 5

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5725 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@madasaf1sh 

I fully agree and I can see why rationalisation is taking place. However, it is a shame when any O2 retail store closes - or a retail store of any MNO - as they can be a useful resource for customers.

I always felt that when the "gurus" left the O2 retail stores several years ago, that seemed to signal them becoming less of a Customer Service orientation operation and more of a hard-nosed sales' operation.      

Message 5 of 5