cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 or Aerial - who am I with? and why has my phone stopped working when I tried to ask O2 online?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My 02 contract was up for renewal and someone claiming to be from 02 phoned and offered me a new deal for 24 months. My contract now seems to be with Aerial but my bank Direct Debit is still with 02. Are they a bonafide company? Today they (Aerial) sent me a letter saying I'm due a monthly refund for not getting a new phone, and want my bank details including account no and sort code. Is this all OK? I tried getting help with an O2 online advisor but they couldn't help me and now my mobile phone has stopped working. Screen looks fine but I cannot send or receive calls or texts since asking for help!!!

Message 1 of 243
242 REPLIES 242

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Glad you got it sorted now lets hope we do not see this ever again on here.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 61 of 243

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Very pleased for you, well done! slight_smile

Happy New Year!

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 62 of 243

Anonymous
Not applicable
Brilliant news.

Let's hope though that o2 pick this sorry tale up with Aerial to ensure it doesn't happen again.

A great result.
Message 63 of 243

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
It was all down to Andrea slight_smile

Glad to hear its sorted claudiaq!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 64 of 243

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

As long as Aerial get the message about calling private customers and selling them business contracts they don't need.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 65 of 243

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it was Andrea who sorted it all out for me, and within a few days after Toby passed on my problems to her and that was over the Christmas and New Year too. I wasn't sure if it was OK to mention her name on here, but she was absolutely brilliant, a real credit to O2.
Message 66 of 243

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144385 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Well done Toby & Andrea - I had every faith in O2 sorting this out for you wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 67 of 243

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Let's hope it's as easy to prevent it happening again.

Message 68 of 243

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am sorry to bring up an old topic again, but I am afraid this has NOT been easy to prevent, as I have today received a call from Aerial as well. I too was duped into giving my info out, only to find out just moments after hanging up that this was a business contract. After googling this I came across this topic, and several others, which have left me mortified. I do NOT want to have the problems this poor lady has had.

Just to explain my situation,

I got called and was told that as a reward for being a loyal customer I could receive more benefits than I have now for a much discounted price. I too assumed I was speaking to o2 themselves, although to be fair it's possible Aerial was mentioned. I am not native english and I found the accent of the gentleman on the phone hard to understand. 

I was asked if this was something I was interested in, and from the sums mentioned (22,85), I would be cheaper off so I said yes. I was then asked to 'confirm' my info. Again because I assumed this was o2, I didn't hesitate to give this info. Looking back now, it should have been suspicious to me that he had trouble with spelling my name, because it should have been right in front of him. But it never crossed my mind.

So then he tells me this is a legally binding spoken contract, but will send me a contract to digitally sign over email. So I assume the contract is not fully in place until I do sign, or else what would the purpose of this contract be? So I say thank you, hang up and wait for this email to arrive.

When it does, I see it comes from Aerial, not o2, and that it is a business contract. So I immediately start googling who these people are, and came across this thread. It scares the hell out of me, so I reject signing this mail and hope that that is enough. 

To be safe I call the number that called me back, and I get the same gentleman that I spoke to (who was very nice and polite by the way), who then (after asking his manager) tells me that what I was signing for is not the contract, but rather giving Aerial permission to refund the discount to me. As in o2 would debit the original sum for this contract, and they would then refund the difference back to me. So if I refuse to sign this, I would have to pay the full sum for that contract. I told him I was not explained that before, that he himself did not even know this to tell me, he had to ask his manager after all.

So I said that I do not want to get that discount, I want to cancel. I figured that worst case I would have to pay the 75 cancellation fee, that will teach me to not double check before giving out info right? What does he then tell me? The cancellation fee would be the whole sum I would pay over those 24 months of the contract! This is where I started to get angry, I said: that is not a cancellation fee, that is simply paying for a contract whether I want it or not and whether I will use it or not. In your legal piece that you read out to me, you said I could cancel for a fee, that is misleading information!

I then told him that I have found many people online having this same issue before and that Aerial seems to have a really bad rep, and that I would contact o2 as others have done before me to get this sorted. The manager then allowed to 'cancel' this agreement as if it never happened. Hopefully this is true, but I will keep a close eye on my account and hope it doesn't get debited anyway.

If it's true, then I don't have a problem. If it's not, I would really like to ask Mr. Toby to help me out as he did this lady before me, because I did not break contracts, I did not refuse to pay a fee to cancel, but to make me pay fully for a 24 month contract that I wish to cancel, and having been told specifically that i COULD cancel is outrageous and just can't be legal. I suspect they are aware of this and offered to cancel because of that, even though cancelling a legally binding contract this way is illegal as well. 

Regardless, I thought it was important to share here, o2 needs to be aware that this issue with their shady 'business partner' is still not resolved almost 5 months after the complaint of the lady who started this thread. It makes me leery of o2 themselves as well, because they don't seem to care particularly much about who they give our names and numbers to. With the widespread complaints about Aerial they should know by now this is a dodgy partner! Please make the people who are responsible for this partnership aware of this, and avoid having more o2 customers fear over the safety of their contact information!

Message 69 of 243

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
@Toby here we go again this has to be stopped.

@Anonymous hopefull as I have mentioned toby he will pick this up and get back to you
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 70 of 243