cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 customer services secret's?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Three times today, when speaking to O2 Customer Services, I have had calls terminated by their staff. It appears they are concerned I have been recording the calls, when I have not.

It then occured to me that 02, who record calls for what they describe as "Training and Quality Assurance Purposes" are encouraging their staff to terminate calls which maybe recorded by customers.That has prompted the next question..... what are they so scared of? They are a telecommunications company! Who do not want to communciate on the phone if the call is recorded. I run my own business and would want to hear copies of calls from my customers who were complaining. Does 02 Management have something to hide? Surely if a member of staff is going to say something on the phone, that member of staff wouldn't be scared of the call being recorded?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I take it you were making a complaint? Why would they think you were recording the call unless you told them, or was there some kind of audible warning?

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was making a complaint, and was not happy with the answers i was being given, so when I asked (simply asked) if I could tape the call, the agent terminated the call stating she was not happy for me to record what she was telling me. This has made me question if O2 feel they can lie on calls as long as customers don't record the lies? It sounds like a closed door policy on truth and customer rights to have accurate records as they do when they record calls.

Message 3 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

How do you know they're concerned that you might be recording the calls? How do you know they're encouraging their staff to teminate the call if they think they're being recorded?

Edit: Apologies @Anonymous I think we were posting replies at the same time. 

As this is a customer to customer forum, we wouldn't know what protocols are set out for customer service or what the policy is on a customer recording a call. 

Perhaps @Toby the community manager might be able to help with your query. Other than that, the only ones who could give you an answer would be....customer service.Confused

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

It does sound like a weird set up as well as a poor response...Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Obviously from a legal POV you have to declare that you intend to record the call.
I can't see it being a problem as long as they have nothing to hide.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was made pretty clear to me, by all 3 staff members (I wont name them here) as they said "I do not give my permission for you to tape the call" and then temrinated the call. On the last call, the agent was overhead talking to a collegue or supervisor who told them what to say. The wording was identical on all 3 as if being read from a script. And finally, when I spoke to a manager they informed me that their staff are trained to do this.

My point is this though... if staff are able to speak to customers, surely O2 should not be ashamed or feel awkard if their customers to record what is said?

Does anyone have any knowledge of how I may obtain copies of those tapes?

Message 7 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

You can speak to CS again, but it doesn't sound as if they'd be very helpful. You can lodge a formal complaint here: http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You are entitled to request that o2 listen back to any calls but I don't think they hand them over to customers.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I have worked in a call centre and I never gave my permission to be recorded. It's up to the individual as far as I'm aware.

Message 10 of 12