Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Three - O2 merger news

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/4500272488/Three-chairman-promises-five-year-price-freeze-after-O...

Could help users will costs

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I saw the same in another article a couple of days ago.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/508f3a12-ca95-11e5-be0b-b7ece4e953a0.html#axzz3zOFxf8ct

I think a price freeze, should the merger be approved, will be cold comfort to Three customers who are on legacy tariffs and are about to see those tariffs double.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/06/three-mobile-customers-100-per-cent-price-rise

I'm predominantly a Three customer (and O2 P&G), although I'm sim only, so I don't think it will have much affect on me. I'd be happy if they froze the sim only tariffs too, but that hasn't been made very clear. My main concern with the merger is if Three will keep the Feel At Home perk that I currently have, which gives me free roaming in many other countries for calls, texts, and data. I'm wondering if they would find it financially viable to extend that perk to the 23 million O2 customers that they will be taking on?

Also interesting to see that Virgin have given the merger their blessing, but I think there's an ulterior motive in that.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/05/virgin_gives_its_blessing_to_o2three_merger/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 35

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I read that article @adamtemp64 I tend to think it was a 'sweetener' to gain Ofcom approval. They seem to be stalling on a decision. I know they don't like the idea.....stating we need 4 networks to make sure all is kept competitively fair for customers...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been having a little deeper think about this today and I think the merger in a way could be a positive thing in terms of pricing.

Okay, so at the moment we have Vodafone, Three, o2 and EE all as the main players. If the merger were approved we'd then have Vodafone, EE and The New Network.

The fact there is less networks does mean less competition yes but then it could make the other 2 networks act that little bit more competitive as there are less other deals to compare them alongside and let's be honest, no network wants to absolutely shine through as the most expensive.... whereas at the moment with there being the 4 networks, there are a vast range of different tariffs to try and compare deals to.

I know it might sound a bit long winded but I hope the point I'm trying to portray is coming across slight_smile

Message 4 of 35

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Yeah, I'd agree with that.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 35

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Tyne main question is not will the merger be given the go ahead but more to the point, what will happen if it doesn't, to a network already a shadow of what it once was? 

Message 6 of 35

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You can guarantee Telefonica will try to offload O2-UK somewhere else regardless, but maybe try and sell it independently rather than a merger.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 35

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 8 of 35

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Almost an impossible task for a company that's not already in the business.
Any that are will likely get blocked, so the future ain't too bright as it stands currently.......

Currently using:
Message 10 of 35