Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 compatibility with US carriers

Alistairm1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I was here a few days ago looking for information about phones which would be supported by O2 in the USA.

I got a very helpful link from Bambino, which gave a list of phones which are currently supported. Armed with this information I went searching.

I found a Redmi Note but it was model 12, not which wasn't on the list, but I thought the list might not be refreshed very often, so I took the plunge and bought it. The list shows model 10 being supported.

It's still in the sealed box but the barcode shows the IMEI numbers. I put these into the O2 checker and it says "not recognised". 

So, I'm not keen to open it up if it's not compatible with the US carriers, as I can return it for a full refund. 

Is it worth checking with the partner carriers in the US, or should I return it and keep looking? Not in any rush for this, as my current phone is working in the UK, but as I'm intending travelling towards the end of the year, I need to get something sorted before I go.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145114 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27833 Solutions

@Alistairm1 

As long as it is Android 12 or above it is capable of wifi and 4g calling on O2 which is what you need to have enabled to use phone in US for calls.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 5

Alistairm1
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the speedy response. I know I have 4G as it worked in Calais yesterday. I have been told Wi-Fi calling is also active. 

As a bit of an afterthought, I decided to try the IMEI numbers in a global checker against AT&T and T-Mobile US. Interesting result as AT&T said not supported, but T-Mobile said Clean. Whether that just means not stolen or a confirmation it will work, I.m not sure so I'm going to do a bit more checking on the US side. Thanks for the info about 4G though, it's given me a bit more confidence about breaking the seals.

Message 3 of 5

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6814 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

@Alistairm1 To check 4G Calling, simply make a call on 4G and if it stays on 4G that's that.

For WiFi Calling. Go into aeroplane mode. The turn just the WiFi back on. After a short time you should see a phone symbol with the WiFi symbol on top. Make a test call

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 5

Alistairm1
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Curiouser and curiouser. Just downloaded an AT&T pdf of all supported phones and it doesn't include any Xiaomi phones at all, but the O2 list does, so it must be using T-Mobile for Xiaomi, which says my phone it compatible. I thought these smartphones were supposed to make life easier. 

So, the conclusion I have drawn from all of this is that I will be ok using the phone in the US providing I make sure I select T-Mobile as carrier (if I am offered an option.)

Message 5 of 5