cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Credit Referrals...

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was refused an O2 contract due to failing the O2 credit check. I have an excellent credit history so after buying and checking my Equifax report and finding it has a high score raised the matter with O2 credit referrals (email only service). After waiting for the obligatory 5 days I got the non-specific and very vague response below. I asked someone else on this forum who reported similar credit check problems and they confirmed that they got the same response.

It seems then that even after the 5 day wait, all you get is an automated and unhelpful response. I've now sent in a customer complaint, but it really seems that once the O2 automated credit check has marked against you, it's extremely difficult to actually get a 'thinking' human being to look at the case and enter into a meaningful dialog that would help to resolve the mis-understanding.

Can anyone suggest how, or to whom I could address my enquiry more directly or tell me of any success stories in overcoming such problems?

Text of O2 reply:-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good afternoon

Thank you for your email about your application for service with O2.

O2 use a number of business policies to assess an application for service via an automated scorecard. Credit scoring produces consistent decisions and is designed to ensure all applicants are treated fairly. As many criteria are considered when assessing applications, it is unlikely that any one specific item would have meant that you did not meet our requirements.

Regards

Telefónica O2 UK Limited
Credit File Referrals (Uk)
Finance and Professional Services
Suite P, Arlington Business Centre LS11 0NE
f +44 (0)113 202 5865
www.o2.co.uk
Message 1 of 118
117 REPLIES 117

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144383 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
I can't say I blame you tbh..... I'd be taking my money to a network that wanted it too, but please check that you can get a contract elsewhere first before cancelling your current one, as mentioned previously - Even though they won't tell you there has to be a reason for it and it could flag the same for other networks.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 81 of 118

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks i will not burn bridges till I'm successfully on the other side, but I appreciate the advice.

I got the second contract for my family yesterday from phones 4u took about 1 minute online to confirm credit check then right through to we are preparing to dispatch.

Just a quick question to you guys when I request my PAC code from O2 is that a termination of contract or is it when my PAC code is transferred to a new network? Not sure how all this works. Will be switching networks in July and EE seem to be my favoured destination. But whatever network I go to I now have quite a low expectation of customer services in general full stop, O2 have set the bar quite low for my new supplier.

To be honest I was expecting a response from O2's credit referral team and in my eyes a cut and paste answer they deemed acceptable was quite surprising.
Message 82 of 118

jonsie
  • 93242 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

MI5
  • 144383 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
I'm sure it's all in jonsie's link but to add it is using the PAC that cancels the account. Once you receive the PAC it is valid for 30 days and your current contract continues to run until you use the code on a new network.
If you go past 30 days you have to request a new PAC.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 84 of 118

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Once you request and use your PAC your O2 line will automatically terminate. If you still have some time left on your contract (or your 30 day notice period) there will be an early termination charge on your final bill

If it's any consolation, I had a similar experience when O2 first launched their home phone service. I tried to sign up to it only for my order to be cancelled a few days later with the credit check being given as the reason. This was in spite of me, at the time, having mobile accounts and home broadband with a combined monthly spend of £130 a month with O2. I attempted for a short while to get them to see sense and go beyond the whole "computer says no" thing without success. I therefore took my home phone and my broadband over to sky who were only too happy to take my money!

Message 85 of 118

Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent I think that covers cancellation of contract. Thank you
Message 86 of 118

jonsie
  • 93242 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also having the problem at the moment, but as a new customer... (switching from t mobile)

When I enquire the credit file team, I get the standard commercial sensitive business policy reply! I am fairly sure I have good credit score, on decent paying job, with my bank for 7 years and no miss payment history.

What should I do at the moment?

Message 88 of 118

MI5
  • 144383 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do as far as a phone with contract is concerned. O2 sometimes have some their own criteria which makes no sense.
If you don't want a phone immediately you could try and get a sim only contract and them attempt to upgrade to a phone contract after 3 months - this sometimes stands in your favour as an additional credit check may not be required.....

Currently using:
Message 89 of 118

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the Community

One option may be to offer to put a sum on deposit which remains on your account for a given period. If you are in a position to do so it may help swing it in your balance.

Good luck
Message 90 of 118