Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Unlock request

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

So to cut a long story short, I requested a network unlock code for my LG handset.

In the supplied instructions, it says I must use the Original SIM however after typing the relevant code it says, all the lock options are disabled and I can only dismiss it.

I watched a video where it shows you them placing a secondary SIM (another network) into the handset instead where it then requests you type in the code. Something at the back of my head is telling me this makes sense. I can't remember what I did with my Samsung Galaxy S2 although I think I swapped it for an Orange SIM, typed the code and reset it.

Have I been sold a one trick pony? Or shall I wait till I get another MicroSIM and try it like in the second video. TBH I can't be bothered talking to O2 customer support.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144383 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:

Oh I see......I have European Firmware after checking. So the message you receive is actually a kind of false negative. It actually says, "Because you are using open firmware you can not unlock your device".

I think it's saying you cannot unlock it because it's already unlocked wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 46

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Right........[whistles].

Message 12 of 46

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Just a quick update. I bought a £1 3 PAYG SIM yesterday and it had no problem changing networks. 

Message 13 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good result then. slight_smile
Message 14 of 46

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I'm also glad I am on PAYM and never had to pay a release fee.:manlol:

Message 15 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm on Payg but choose to buy direct from Apple so no release fee for me too. wink
Message 16 of 46

jonsie
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Glad it's all sorted @anticpated slight_smile

Unfortunately many people do have to go down the route of P&G phones and going through the unlocking process and all that it entails. Hopefully the threads on the community will guide them through what is usually a straight forward and relatively easy procedure.

Message 17 of 46

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I used pay as you go, until I bought a smartphone.  Now you get PAYG deals which are almost as good as the Pay Monthly ones....sods law of diminishing averages I suppose.

Message 18 of 46

jonsie
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

There is a lot to be said for both P&G and contract, both have advantages and disadvantages. In today's world and the top spec phones costing so much to buy outright, many people have to tie into a 2 year contract. Not for me I'm afraid but at least Refresh offers other alternatives.

Whatever works for the individual is fine by me. Horses for courses!

Message 19 of 46

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Bouncy

Message 20 of 46