cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My O2 - why does O2 ask me to turn off WiFi?

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 sent me an SMS to let me know that my " ...latest bill is now ready to view at My O2"   The SMS continues "Turn off your wifi and you won't need a username or password to login."   They make no mention of the My O2 App which is just as useful, works well with Wifi and once set up require just a PIN to be entered. Is O2 now distancing itself from the app?   Are there as yet undisclosed reasons why customers should avoid using My O2 via Wifi?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gerry,

O2 send that text because if you sign in via their own mobile data network, you are then already verified automatically after clicking the link that they have provided and taken straight to the My O2 mobile webpage rather than the application. It just gives you more ways to easily view your bill online slight_smile

Hope this helps.

John

Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Gerry,

O2 send that text because if you sign in via their own mobile data network, you are then already verified automatically after clicking the link that they have provided and taken straight to the My O2 mobile webpage rather than the application. It just gives you more ways to easily view your bill online slight_smile

Hope this helps.

John

Thank you @Anonymous for such a quick response.  So if I understand you correctly  - to give me MORE ways to view my bill online O2 instructs me to TURN OFF an alternative way (which in my case I find much easier and just as effective on mobile phone)?  Smiley Very Happy   

Message 3 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the general gist of it yes.

What if WiFi wasn't available and for some instance you forgot your PIN code for the MY O2 app and you're too much in a rush to go through the password reset rigma? It's effective but not necessarily essential slight_smile

John

Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous I just ignore that part of the email & carry on viewing myo2 the way I'm used to
Message 5 of 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Most of the texts that o2 send out have been written by people on day release from various institutions probably sometime in the distant past when government regulations allowed such social activities. 

Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's the general gist of it yes.

What if WiFi wasn't available and for some instance you forgot your PIN code for the MY O2 app and you're too much in a rush to go through the password reset rigma? It's effective but not necessarily essential slight_smile

John

I understand that @Anonymous  .  In my experience though it is much more likely that WiFi will be available than a network connection for data!   

@Anonymous  That's exactly what I do too!

@jonsie  Bouncy  

Message 7 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good for you @Anonymous
Message 8 of 23

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@jonsie that just made me inhale my coffee...
Message 9 of 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123046 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Most of the texts that o2 send out have been written by people on day release from various institutions probably sometime in the distant past when government regulations allowed such social activities. 

Spit take....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 23