cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis-selling - O2 agent lied to me in attempt to get me to take a monthly contract

Anonymous
Not applicable
I received a phone call from an O2 agent telling me that because I had been a long standing customer (over 10/15 years since it was BT Cellnet) on Pay As You Go, I had "earned a 15% discount" on a monthly contract SIM. I said I wouldn't agree to it without having a look at what other networks were offering. In my search I discovered that the 15% discount is an open offer at the minute to anyone signing up. Consequently, I had not "earned" any kind of special loyal customer discount as the O2 agent led me to believe. I told him this when he phoned back a week later and he attempted to fudge the issue by assuring me that I was able to have a 15% discount. I pointed out that it was not a unique discount to me as he had led me to believe. He went quiet for a few seconds and then had the audacity to ask if i would go ahead with the offer. I told him that I wouldn't beacuse he had misled and lied to me and hadn't been straight with me. 

I am disgusted at this behaviour from a brand that I have trusted for a very long time. It was attempted mis-selling which is not acceptable to anyone in this day and age. I wish to bring this mattter to the Chairman of the Company or other appropriate Senior Officer. How can I do that?

This episode now has me considering leaving a brand that I had complete confidence in for a very long time. A shame!
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27709 Solutions
Complaints link here http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain and you can also Google for the CEO's email and write to his office.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 123020 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

Just a query @Anonymous.

Are you sure the caller was actually from O2?.. It does sound as if it could be one of their so called 'trusted partners'. Often claiming to be O2... whereas they could be a 3rd party seller.

Either way it's a pretty appalling state of affairs. Good job you were on the ball as it were.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 20

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Actually it was more than likely a "trusted partner" as we see stories like this a lot! Cleoriff was probably right imo.

Still it does not make it OK, and the only way to try and stop these dubious "trusted partners" activities is to follow the complaints procedure and let O2 know just how unhappy with them you are!
Message 4 of 20

MI5
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27709 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I told him this when he phoned back a week later......  

What number did you call him back on?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

He phoned me from 08000136673

Message 6 of 20

MI5
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27709 Solutions
Yep, defo O2 direct https://twitter.com/o2/status/477492568926990336

Currently using:
Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fairly sure it was from O2 because a couple of days before the call i received a text from O2 saying they would be calling me re special offers. That is the only reason i answere the unrecognised number. Then a couple of days after the agent's first call O2 texted me to thank me for speaking to the agent and asking me to score the call on a sacle of 1-5. 

Of course these could still be from a third party on behalf of O2 but it is  as clear as can be that O2 authorised it. I don't know if it offers any additional reassurance but the agent was able to tell me how long i had been with O2, my typical usage and how much i had topped up in the last few months.

Message 8 of 20

Huntress
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 242 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Just by putting the number into Google brings up a whole list of forums where people have been complaining about constant calls from this number.  It appears to be connected to O2 for sure. 

Life is just a game, the rules of which are only explained to us when the game is over.

MacBook Pro
iMac
iPhone X 256gb
iPad 64gb
Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have just found an email address for an UK senior officer (Ronan Dunne) but don't know if he is still in post. Will try it anyhow.

Message 10 of 20