cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with o2 WiFi

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am purchasing a new phone next week, it will be a big step up from my Nokia 2330c grin
The main feature I was looking forward to was internet capabilities, having 3G and WiFi.
I have a WiFi "Cloud" hotspot at work, so that's awesome. I still don't understand WiFi at home though.
I was told via email from o2 Support that WiFi is only free via the hotspots. I replied and asked how much it would cost to connect to the WiFi I have a home (if anything). The reply I got was how to set up WiFi for an iPhone :robotindifferent:
I didn't mention iPhones in my email, I'm not even getting an iPhone, so I am hoping the knowledge of this forum can help me out. I have searched the forum, but not luck as of yet.
Help appreciated, Mike.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Connecting to your home wi-fi is free, its yours bought and paid for already. Access to the cloud and bt openzone depends on the tariff you opt for and full details can be found on O2 website. You can connect free to hot spots such as McDonalds, airports etc.
Wi-fi and how to connect can be found @ http://www.filesaveas.com/wifi.html
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Connecting to your home wi-fi is free, its yours bought and paid for already. Access to the cloud and bt openzone depends on the tariff you opt for and full details can be found on O2 website. You can connect free to hot spots such as McDonalds, airports etc.
Wi-fi and how to connect can be found @ http://www.filesaveas.com/wifi.html

Thanks! Yeah I work at McDonalds, so can use my phone there. Good to know the WiFi is free at home as well slight_smile
Yeah I'm on the text and web tariff, so it's all good.
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Message 3 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got a reply from o2 Support 😞
Thanks for getting back to us.
If you have data allowances left you won't be charged for using Wi-Fi
from home internet wireless connection.
If you don't have any data allowances you'll be charged £1 per 100 Mb of
data. The day you don't use internet you won't be charged for it.
If there's anything else I can help you with, let me know.
Message 5 of 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
yet more misinformation from o2 email support.
If you use your own broadbands wi-fi you will not be charged by o2.
What happens is people think they are connected at home via wifi but for some handsets the wifi drops when in sleep mode (iphone an example) but any active apps will then use cell data not wifi and then people look at there bill and think they have been charged for using there wifi assuming they were still connected to home wifi.
I have used my iphone for over 2 years and never been charged by o2 for using my broadband wifi.
I hope that helps.
I would refere the email to the complaint review service as yet another example of poor email support.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
What happens is people think they are connected at home via wifi but for some handsets the wifi drops when in sleep mode (iphone an example) but any active apps will then use cell data not wifi and then people look at there bill and think they have been charged for using there wifi assuming they were still connected to home wifi.
I have used my iphone for over 2 years and never been charged by o2 for using my broadband wifi.
I hope that helps.
I would refere the email to the complaint review service as yet another example of poor email support.

Ahhh thank you, will do.
That makes me feel a lot better. grin
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I hope that helps.

I think it's more a case of poor grammar (something I see a lot of which goes on to cause confusion).
I recently got an email from o2 that said "Have an Christmas present on us with an early upgrade" so reading that, you'd think you're getting an early upgrade right? No, it was telling me that by being in Blue tier I get a 1m early upgrade in the middle of this year. :womanindifferent:
Message 8 of 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Wanty
This misinformation and poor grammar has to stop o2 are in business in the UK.
In this and many other threads about using home wifi the advice is wrong and misleading.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 13

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions
I would like to ask what form of Wifi the OP has at home.
If he has a proper home broadband connection (ie through the telephone line) with a Wifi router then he will be able to connect to it free of charge.
If he has a laptop or similar using a wireless dongle, things change.
If none of the above apply, things change again.
#siwy
Message 10 of 13