cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a smartphone SIM questions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I take the SIMs out of my O2 laptop dongle and the one in my mobile phone both are pasg and use them to get me started?

I do not at present know much abot smartphones so be gentle with me.

Thanks

David

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144970 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27814 Solutions

As mentioned above, data sims don't include calls, so whilst you mobile phone data would work, nothing else would.
If you have an existing PAYG phone sim you can switch that between phones ok or if you go into o2 you can get a free PAYG sim card, although some shops may ask you to top it up whilst in store.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Most data sims (all I think) don't include calls, or the ability to make calls. Only texts and data.
Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 144970 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27814 Solutions
I don't really understand what you are trying to do?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 13

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Easy enough in My O2 to change tariff on the sim to include data, calls and texts I would think.....?

Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123351 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

I think the OP is asking if they can use their tablet sim in their mobile phone? I was about to say no....Smiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144970 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27814 Solutions
Maybe.
I'd pick up a free sim from an o2 shop or my local coop.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Maybe.
I'd pick up a free sim from an o2 shop or my local coop.

Yes maybe the best way to go.....

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

To clarify.

I have an O2 dongle for my laptop PAYG can I take its SIM card out and put it into my new smartphone to get it going?

I have an excisting mobile phone can I take that SIM again PAYG and put that in my new smartphone again to get me started.?

You have given a couple of mentions to a visit to an O2 shop, or Co-op to get a free SIM which is rather a surprise to get something for free, what will that enable me to do, please?

Thanks, David

Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 144970 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27814 Solutions

As mentioned above, data sims don't include calls, so whilst you mobile phone data would work, nothing else would.
If you have an existing PAYG phone sim you can switch that between phones ok or if you go into o2 you can get a free PAYG sim card, although some shops may ask you to top it up whilst in store.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

So my mobile phones SIM makes the smartphone work just as a phone and no internet, I got that.

You talk of data SIM is that what my dongle is or is it something different, it has some unused Gb on it it.

So the free SIM when a payment made will do both jobs phone calls and internet?

David

Message 10 of 13