Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Update Messed Up

SLC001
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My wife and I are furious. O2 have changed their records and badly messed up. My wife had 2 telephones under her O2 account say 1 and 2. She uses 1 and I use 2. We use a common email address and when going into her account you could see 2 phone numbers and it allows you upgrade each one  or look up the bill for each one. Now you can only see her phone and not mine. When I log into O2 with my phone I see her account, her phone. Not mine. So I have a phone but no O2 account. I am fearful that our security questions will fail when we complain - what the heck is going on? How do I get my own account? Will it transfer my former details under my wife's account to me? This is quite preposterous.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144416 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@SLC001 

Join the club of thousands.

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

SLC001
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What this means is go to an O2 shop at my expense and inconvenience . The data migration changed my user name to an email address which is unknown to me. When Chat tried to change it, they tried to send me a text with a security code so they could change my user name but I never got it. So was it sent or sent to the wrong number - certainly we said what the number should be. Quite absurd.

Message 3 of 10

SLC001
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oh and it gets worse - O2 say they now have to close the original account, carry out credit checks and all that with an inference this is at our expense!  Then they will open a new account in my wife's name and presumably correct the account (my new account) with a random email address to and address I use. If it ain't bust, don't try to fix it!

Message 4 of 10

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6609 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

That sounds wrong to me. But then Customer Services are not the sharpest pencils in the pack.

Sadly, we can't help here as we don't have any O2 agents on the community

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 10

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5716 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

That sounds wrong to me. But then Customer Services are not the sharpest pencils in the pack.

Sadly, we can't help here as we don't have any O2 agents on the community

I think @SLC001 that it might be worth contacting O2 again ; community members sometimes report speaking to a different customer service advisor and getting a completely different response ! 

The social media team at O2 are well-thought of, so you could consider contacting them :-

Facebook : https://o2uk.co/O2CFB

X (previously known as Twitter) : https://o2uk.co/O2CTW

Instagram : https://o2uk.co/O2CIG

Message 6 of 10

SLC001a
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oxonian may well be right. We have spoken to various people and have had differing results and ultimately we have been able to do what we needed to do. On Friday evening the advisor we were chatting to said he had to text a code to my phone before he could do anything. It never arrived but I did get two unsolicited texts about 24 hours later!

The whole thing was messy and long drawn out and yes we did get conflicting advice which shouldn't happen.

Message 7 of 10

Oxonian
  • 5716 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

But if you are now sorted @SLC001a then that is the main thing ! 👍

Have you achieved resolution @SLC001 yet ? As I said, it is sometimes just a question of hitting on an advisor who has experienced your problem on a previous occasion.  

Message 8 of 10

SLC001
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Resolution of sorts. Hitting the right adviser is key. In the end it was resolved by telephone and we now have our own individual accounts but to change the name on my wife's account from mine to hers required proof of ID! Yet she set the account up in the first place back in 1994 or thereabouts. I guess things may have changed over time which led to the discrepancy in account name.

Anyhow, two individual accounts have now been set up which is what ideally it should have been in the first place rather than using one common email address. Lesson is keep trying.

Message 9 of 10

Oxonian
  • 5716 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Well done @SLC001, glad you reached a solution in the end. 👍 

Message 10 of 10