Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G network speed

MartW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just tested my 5G network speed on my new Samsung S23 Ultra phone. It's barely 3G speed! Coventry

5Mbps indoors and 20Mbps if I hold the phone out of the loft window.
My brother on EE has just screenshotted his getting over 300Mbps indoors in Sutton Coldfield, so with O2 less than 2% of the speed on EE.

If there is a 5G premium on my contract, it needs to be deducted clearly! I'll be calling customer services in the week.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144652 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions

@MartW 

There's no segregated charge for 5g. Everyone pays the same regardless of data speed used and all tariffs include 5g where available.

The problem is an oversubscribed network with too many subscribers and not enough bandwidth to cope.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

@MartW 

Location means bod all, I am afraid, and o2 and BT(EE) use different infrastructure and mast configurations, have you checked the coverage map at all? 

Indoor coverage is dependent on your building as well and what its made from as per the rules of physics, and how radio waves work. 

Where I am in Yorkshire if I go into the Office 5G is 300Mbps on O2 and 150Mbps on EE...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 18

Mart_W
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Location might mean bod all to you pal, but it means a lot to me since it means I have a barely functioning data network at home and about. I met up with my brother, away from our homes and EE trounced O2 for network speed every time

Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've downloaded the 02 Coverage checker app on my Android phone and my area, which is the Lincolnshire Wolds, doesn't  have any 5G at all, it's all in white which means no 5G, only 4G here.

Message 5 of 18

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6657 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

@Mart_W wrote:

Location might mean bod all to you pal, but it means a lot to me since it means I have a barely functioning data network at home and about. I met up with my brother, away from our homes and EE trounced O2 for network speed every time

On average EE is the fastest network and O2 the slowest. There are exceptions of course. But Nationwide that's the situation

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 18

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6657 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I've downloaded the 02 Coverage checker app on my Android phone and my area, which is the Lincolnshire Wolds, doesn't  have any 5G at all, it's all in white which means no 5G, only 4G here.

The thread was about Coventry. Not sure how we have shifted to Lincolnshire 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 18

Mart_W
Level 1: Joiner
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I wouldn't necessarily complain just because it was the slowest, as long as it was actually 5G speeds. But not even getting decent 3G speeds is really poor. And the excuse given further above that it was because houses are made of bricks, well, yeah, they pretty much all are, including my brothers' house where he gets 300Mbps.

This is on O2, they don't really have a 5G network yet other than maybe in isolated areas, although I've not seen actual proof of that either.

Message 8 of 18

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

O2 do have a 5G network, and like all the other networks its been built out, and slowly... and you don't have a 5G contract just connection to a network, nor is there a minimum speed guarantee..

You need to look at the laws of physics, where by radio waves are absorbed by any object, the link below may help you understand:

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/blog/11-major-building-materials-that-kill-your-cell-phone-receptio...

That may be too technical for you,and means EE are using a different band or more power..

There is a simple answer, pay off your contract and move to EE.. full details are here: Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 18

Mart_W
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have an Engineering Degree; I don't need your pathetic attempts at patronisation. Yes, cancelling my contract certainly is an option, although renewing it with O2 won't be.

If the network is being built out, then by definition, they don't actually have a 5G network, they are working toward having one, and if their speeds where they claim to have a 5G network are as slow as old school 3G, then it is 5G in name only. It's pretend 5G.

Defend O2 all you like; it's your credibility you are throwing away, not mine.

I'm just here adding my voice to others, letting people know not to go with O2 if you want usable network speeds. EE are far better.

Just admit it, O2, who have the slowest network speeds in the UK, just don't have a real 5G network

Message 10 of 18