Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

202 scam?

SaraMeadow
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I wanted to find out how i could prevent my phone from connecting to cruise ship satellite without me having to use airplane mode and not being able to use my phone at all. I rang 202 and the guy wouldn't tell me wanted to verify my account which i did with three letters from my passcode which incidently the third letter he asked for a different number when it got to it. eg at first he said it was the sixth then changed to the fifth. Anyway he then sent me a code to my phone which i then questioned and asked why on earth would i need that as that is what scammers do. Plus my question could be answered without needing to log into my account. it was from 02UK. So i said forget it. and i came online and changed my secret question. When i did this i got a text from 02 UK confirming this. So not from the same text account. He then rang me back saying he wanted my code this was from (44) 800 840 0202. I feel like i can't even contact 02 now. Is 202 a legit number? Or is someone who works for 02 trying to scam me??  I had someone trying to get my login details this way a few weeks ago except they contacted me straight after sending a text. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6807 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

202 is a legitimate number and can only be rung from an O2 account

You can turn mobile data off on your phone to prevent Internet access but you will still use the ships network to make and receive calls and be charged appropriately 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 7

SaraMeadow
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for the help. I just don't understand why he eould need to send me a code for me to verify my account. I have never been asked in the oast. Just three letters from my password.

I was thinking if I turn off automatic connections that I can prevent it connecting from the ships satellite if it has a better connection at any point. I'm terrified of being charged hundreds of pound.

Message 3 of 7

SaraMeadow
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Excuse my dire typing/spelling.

Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145067 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@SaraMeadow 

Take your sim out and turn on your wifi.

That way there's no chance of you using any of O2's services.

You may still have to pay to use the ships network though.

It is concerning regarding the discussion you had with customer services so I would be inclined to report it to O2 so they can look into it.

You can message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this
Thanks

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 5 of 7

SaraMeadow
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you!

Message 6 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Hi @SaraMeadow 

Check out this guide before you use your phone on a ship.

When you are connecting to a Maritime Network, you are connecting to a satellite-based system which incurs very expensive charges.

Each ships company will set a package of their own charges which you can purchase for a certain number of days. If you dont buy a package then you could face horrendous charges.

My grandson went on a cruise last year and turned his phone off when on board. When the ship docked he turned his phone on and  used free wifi in a cafe whilst the others in his party went shopping. 😂

Guide: Cruise Liners / Aircraft Charges 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 7