cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad queston

Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm looking to get a iPad Mini or iPad Retina,

• What one do you all prefer the Mini or Retina(i'm not bothered over the display quality, just trying to decide what size is best and want the latest model)?

• If i went for the Retina display size ill be using it at home on the chair and out and about in the car, holidays and weekends away - would the size be to big for this?

• Would the Mini screen size be too small for watching YouTube videos, reading text on websites etc?

• I've always used iPhone's and always have used 16g models as i have no intention on having music on them just APP's, email etc and the same with the iPad, would the 16g iPad Mini or Retina be enough for my use?

• I'm looking at the 3G/cellular models, what size simcards do these use?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

My personal choice would be the ipad mini.

Its just the right size IMO.

I would suggest you visit an Apple Store to have a play with the working demo models.

Ive viewed films etc on both and find both to be suitable.

If you go for the 3g & wifi ipad mini version, then it takes a Nano sim.

Im assuming you mean the ipad 3 which is the newest retina ipad available.

This takes a micro sim card.

Message 2 of 4

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

Im assuming you mean the ipad 3 which is the newest retina ipad available.

This takes a micro sim card.

Actually the iPad 3 was effectively withdrawn replaced by the 'iPad with Retina display'  otherwise known as 4th edition.

@Anonymous It's a matter of your own preference but as BOB says take a look at both working in store - does not necessarily have to be an Apple store, though you may also want to consider an iPad2 which would be cheaper though not retina and not the latest. (3G iPad2 uses micro SIM)

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i'm looking to get a iPad Mini or iPad Retina,

• What one do you all prefer the Mini or Retina(i'm not bothered over the display quality, just trying to decide what size is best and want the latest model)?

• If i went for the Retina display size ill be using it at home on the chair and out and about in the car, holidays and weekends away - would the size be to big for this?

• Would the Mini screen size be too small for watching YouTube videos, reading text on websites etc?

• I've always used iPhone's and always have used 16g models as i have no intention on having music on them just APP's, email etc and the same with the iPad, would the 16g iPad Mini or Retina be enough for my use?

• I'm looking at the 3G/cellular models, what size simcards do these use?

Thanks in advance

I have the retina iPad, but if you aren't bothered about the screen quality, then its a case of trying both and seeing which looks and feels right for you.

Personally, whether its the mini or the retina iPad, both are still very portable, which ever you may choose.

Both the iPad's will be fine for watching You Tube, but personally I did notice when moving from a non retina iPad to my retina iPad that I currently have is the text is more sharper on text, websites etc, so if this is important, then the retina iPad might be worth the extra.

The thing to remember with iPad apps (and especially games) is that they are larger apps than the iPhone equivalent app, so maybe the 16GB might be a bit tight for space. Saying that though, on your iPhone, how much free space do you have out of the 16GB?, this might make it easier to see if the 16GB would be enough.

Re cellular models, I only have a wifi only model. But a tip that might save you a bit of money is. Why don't you tether/Personal Hotspot your iPhone to your iPad, this basically turns your iPhone into (for want of a better word) a wifi hotspot over the cellular network. I've used this feature on a couple of occasions and it works extremely well in a 3G area, on EDGE, GPRS it still works, albeit slower, but that would be the same with a cellular iPad, essentially you would have the same functionality of been able to use your iPad over a cellular/mobile network. You would save £100 by getting the non cellular model and using your iPhone to tether/Personal Hotspot.

I would definitely recommend however going to an Apple Store and having a good playground with the iPad min and the retina iPad and see which suits, feels right for you. Might be an idea to ask the Apple Store staff if you can try comparing text on both, watch some You Tube on them. This should be possible as any Apple Store I've visited had wifi.

Message 4 of 4