Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iData bolt-on - still required for all iPhones or not? [2023.04]

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Is an "iData bolt-on" still needed for all iPhones, and if so what for – calls/SMS/data &/or roaming &.or something other reason? 

The info on the forums gives mixed yes/no/maybe answers. So it would be good to get some definitive answer on this. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144586 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions

@jimthing0 

Yes it is.

If not, you will not get visual voicemail or hotspot working.

You will also need to change the apn to get mobile data when abroad.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I just PM'd O2 staff, who advised all iPhone plans have these automatically set-up without having to be manually added.

But as they don't actually show on the Bolt-Ons section when logged in to your account website/app, how would you confirm this has been done properly without having to spend time and effort to contact O2 staff to manually check it for you? 

O2 staff: 

The iphone data does not show as a bolt on as it is part of the tariff the bolt on section is just for extras that have been added on as the ones you have showing .

The reason I ask, is because of the advise many are giving to users when they have problems abroad, changing APN's when abroad from "idata.o2.co.uk" to "mobile.o2.co.uk", which surely then screws-up your VV &/or hotspot usage, both at home and abroad. 

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144586 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions

@jimthing0 wrote:

I just PM'd O2 staff, who advised all iPhone plans have these automatically set-up without having to be manually added.

If you believe that you probably still believe in Santa. 

@jimthing0 wrote:

But as they don't actually show on the Bolt-Ons section when logged in to your account website/app, how would you confirm this has been done properly without having to spend time and effort to contact O2 staff to manually check it for you? 

If visual voicemail and personal hotspot works, you have it (as I said above)

@jimthing0 wrote:

The reason I ask, is because of the advise many are giving to users when they have problems abroad, changing APN's when abroad from "idata.o2.co.uk" to "mobile.o2.co.uk", which surely then screws-up your VV &/or hotspot usage, both at home and abroad. 

If iData is enabled there's no need to change the apn when abroad. 

So VVM and hotspot wouldn't be working anyway.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@jimthing0 wrote:

If iData is enabled there's no need to change the apn when abroad. 

So VVM and hotspot wouldn't be working anyway.

Sorry, explain this further? If iData is set as the APN when abroad, why would VVN/hotspot not be working? 

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144586 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions

If you already had the iData bolt on, vvm would be working and so would data abroad.

If you didn't have it, vvm / hotspot would not be working anywhere, so it's already screwed up.

To be clear, vvm and hotspot will only work if you have iData enabled.

If using "mobile.o2.co.uk" vvm and hotspot will not work, wherever you are.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6