Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to set up iwatch with cellular

Kathrin123
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi we are slightly at our wits end with this so if anyone could help it would be much appreciated 

we tried to set up family sharing on a iwatch on my iPhone which we managed to do. However we can’t activate mobile data for the watch as O2 don’t support it. 

some people have said in previous threads that you just need an e sim for the iwatch, but if this is so, how do we set up the watch? Do we need a spare handset and another 02 contract? 

the Apple Watch is 2022 SE iwatch 

any tips gratefully appreciated 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144422 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Kathrin123 

O2 don't support the option for family sharing.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Kathrin123
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes we found this out. However still keen to set up the watch as a separate number so that my daughter can call us from the watch if needed 

Do I need to take out a new contract on a diff handset so I can set up the watch to that phone and contract or is there an easier way? 

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144422 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Kathrin123 

You'll need an iPhone on a monthly contract to pair it to.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

Pears2025
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hiya! 

you need to have a pay monthly number with o2 to be able to add an Apple Watch connection. This doesn’t have to be a device  plan, if you already have the iPhone, so a sim only plan will do. Once you have taken out the new pay monthly plan - that number will be used to link the calls/ texts to the watch. Once that pay monthly plan is activated, if you go to the Apple Watch app on the iPhone (which will need to be with your new pay monthly sim installed) go to mobile data on the app and it will prompt you to set it up through the o2 website. You’ll log into myo2 with the info you used that’s linked to the new number, and set up an airtime rolling plan for the watch slight_smile

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144422 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

There is a minimum requirement for your watch to work, so not "any" iPhone will do.

You need as a minimum an iPhone XS and must be running iOS17

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Kathrin123
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the detailed reply 

Message 7 of 9

Kathrin123
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your help. Luckily we have an old XS handset hanging around 

much appreciated MI5 

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144422 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Kathrin123 

If you move quickly you can get the £8 deal here on sim only Best SIM Only Deals | Compare Pay Monthly SIM Contracts | O2

Apple watch help and info here Apple Watch | Help & Support | O2

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9