cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 3G on iPhone 3GS

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I upgraded from a HTC to an iPhone 3GS in the summer, I'm on a contract with O2 and have a Bolt on for iPhone.

However, since I got the iPhone, it doesn't seem able to access 3G/mobile data. It is fine with Wifi, but otherwise, if I'm not near a wifi network, I can't access the internet, receive emails etc.

When I did the upgrade, the people on the phones at O2 didn't seem sure whether I should use my old SIM card or new one, so I tried both, they finally told me to use the new one and they activated it, this still did not work though.

Since then I've had a couple of live chats with O2 gurus where they generally tell me repeatedly to switch my phone off and wipe my SIM card. They also checked the APN settings which should be ok. I've also been into an O2 shop where I was told that everything looked ok and I should speak to Apple.

Went to the Apple shop yesterday and they told me to do a restore via itunes, which I've done, still didn't work.

Any ideas? Thanks! By the way I'm not very technical and find it all v boring, which is why its taking me so long to try and sort out! slight_smile

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried turning 3G on & off? The status checker will show you if you have 3G in your area or not & how string it is

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep tried that!

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Take it straight to apple then as ou will probably walk out within ten minutes with a new iPhone if in warranty or you pay around £120 if its out of warranty, don't let O2 have it. They will send it away for weeks then just say water damage

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right, will try that, they did say to make an appointment at Apple store if nothing else works, so hopefully they will sort me out. Thanks!

Message 5 of 7

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Check your APN

Settings>general>mobile data>mobile data network

Your APN should say idata.o2.co.uk

You may find it has not provisioned properly.

sorry I don't see how live chat could tell If they were ok for you.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whatever live chat tell, I would take it with a pinch of salt

Message 7 of 7