cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IOS7 Differences

Anonymous
Not applicable

After updating my IP4 to ios7 i compared it against another two identical phones ( ip4 16gb ) and found quite a few differences in the settings menu,for instance mine has a "Mobile Data " tab but my sons has "Cell Data " while mine has a VPN tab his doesnt, also his has a personal hotspot option while mine doesnt

i have checked the model numbers for all three handsets and they are all MC603B/A so surely the hardware is the same, the only difference is that they are all on different carriers,mine Tesco (O2 ) while the others are "3 " and T Mobile

does this mean that different carriers have differing setups in the ios,if not then i wonder why the different layouts on the same model phone

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

The difference in mobile/cellular data can be changed in the settings:

Change it using the language setting. English = cellular data, British English = mobile data.

Personal hotspot will normally depend on your tariff and is not available on P&G. I would think that could also be network related.

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try switching your iPhone off and then back on (if you haven't already done this since the update).

Also, they might be a carrier update that is required to bring the Personal Hotspot and VPN tabs back. I know since iOS 7 has been released, I've had two carrier updates.

I'm on a O2 Simplicity tariff and my iPhone 5s shows the following, but I don't have VPN shown anywhere that I can see:

IMG_0016.PNG

IMG_0017.PNG

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
The personnel hotspot will only be there if your using a contract SIM card and it's provisioned for tethering.

I would be careful about carrier updates as it seems some are having the option to toggle 3G off removed. Not good for people in fringe coverage who would benefit instead from using 2g
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies

My contract tarrif does not allow tethering so i guess that is why i dont have a hotspot option,strange i have the vpn option though when my son who is on the One Plan with 3 doesnt ,not complaining though as i use the vpn a lot

the only carrier update i have had was right after the ios update,i am assuming this is when the carrier sets the options you will have according to your tarrif etc

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the replies

My contract tarrif does not allow tethering so i guess that is why i dont have a hotspot option,strange i have the vpn option though when my son who is on the One Plan with 3 doesnt ,not complaining though as i use the vpn a lot

the only carrier update i have had was right after the ios update,i am assuming this is when the carrier sets the options you will have according to your tarrif etc

I recall that a couple of years ago, O2 brought some new tariffs out that included tethering/personal hotspot. So perhaps your tariff is one that pre dates the newer tariffs I've mentioned?

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Checked in Settings > General for VPN?

Message 7 of 7