cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chane of ownership

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I went in to carphone warehouse yesterday and agreed to get a contract for my friend on the conditions that carphone warehouse said that I could change ownership of the contract over to her name in two months? I just wanted to know if it will change the contract from my name in to hers?
Message 1 of 67
66 REPLIES 66

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144845 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions
Yes you can do that but if they fail to pay you are still responsible.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 31 of 67

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You certainly can but it's risky. Only you can know the strength of your friendship. 

Message 32 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well how do you do it so the money comes out of her bank rather than mine?
Message 33 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just set up the direct debit using your friends bank account. It really is that straight forward.

You can change the bank details using myo2 or you can call o2.

Please note however that as the contract is in your name, if there are issues in the future you will need to call o2 unless you set it up for your friend to do it.

And I hope you don't fall out. ....
Message 34 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
Will I be charged if I cancel the contract? Abs she had already opened and used the phone will that matter?
Message 35 of 67

Cleoriff
  • 123277 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Will I be charged if I cancel the contract? Abs she had already opened and used the phone will that matter?

You wont be charged as long as you are within the 14 day cooling off period. However the phone will need to be returned in pristine condition and restored to its factory default setting. (wiped clean) Obviously it also will need returning in its oprginal box with all accessories etc.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you I have just spoke to someone from O2 and advised me on that same thing to do thank you all for your help just need to resolve this and see if I can get my friend to come with me with the phone to get it canceled
Message 37 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am going to go and cancel the phone contract but if she still wanted to get the phone on contract in someone else's name would that affect anything?
Message 38 of 67

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23180 Posts
  • 1028 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I am going to go and cancel the phone contract but if she still wanted to get the phone on contract in someone else's name would that affect anything?

Your question is a little confusing. Affect what? If she got the phone on a contract in someone else's name, that person would be liable for any charges.

If your friend has the funds to pay for the contract using her bank account, why does she want the contract in someone else's name? 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 39 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your friend doesn't need to be with you as such when you cancel the contract in store because it is in YOUR name. YOU are the account holder.

You will, however, need the phone and all the bits that came with it including the box. You will also be charged for any calls, texts and data used to date.

Your decision is a sensible one. As for your friend taking out a contract in another person's name? Why?

You are best out of it. The whole thing sounds dubious.
Message 40 of 67