cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chane of ownership

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I went in to carphone warehouse yesterday and agreed to get a contract for my friend on the conditions that carphone warehouse said that I could change ownership of the contract over to her name in two months? I just wanted to know if it will change the contract from my name in to hers?
Message 1 of 67
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Officially there isn't a transfer of ownership like the Op was advised of but it can be done if the friend has an existing O2 account and transfers the number over to the new account .

The details of the keep number will replace the current ones and the new contract will be loaded onto the old number. If the old number is still in contract they will have to pay it in full.If it's a refresh account they will have to pay the phone plan. This is the only way to do it, and there is no need of waiting 2 months. (no idea why the store adviser said that)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 67
66 REPLIES 66

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does your friend currently have an O2 contract? If so, are they out of contract?

Message 2 of 67

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Personally I would have to be very certain that they will change the contract into your friends name. In fact I would want that in writing.

If anything happens then that contract will remain in your name and you will be liable for any defaults etc

I am not wishing to cast a downer on this at all.....but we have had so many people on here that find themselves in serious problems when they do a friend a favour in terms of applying for a contract on their behalf...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
I didn't think o2 allowed a change of ownership like this anymore?

It is fraught with difficulties and should be avoided. If you fell out with said friend you remain liable.
Message 4 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did CPW advise on the cancellation period? If you order online o2 give 14 days but I am not sure about if you go into store.

Presumably your friend didn't meet the criteria for his/her own contract? That would also ring alarm bells with me.
Message 5 of 67

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

As far as I know O2 don't. The account would have to be paid up and a new account taken in the friend's name. There is something different with business accounts though I'm sure @Anonymous will clarify. Maybe CPW have a way round it but I doubt it.

Message 6 of 67

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

Even if they did allow it, if the OP's friend has never had an O2 contract (which is what it sounds like to me), they would have to pass a credit check. If the OP took out the contract now and the friend didn't pass the credit check, the responsibilty would be on the OP for the duration of the contract.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would return it under the cancellation policy if CPW allow it (do it quickly as at most would be 14 days) and then arrange for the friend to get their own contract.
Message 8 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable

Officially there isn't a transfer of ownership like the Op was advised of but it can be done if the friend has an existing O2 account and transfers the number over to the new account .

The details of the keep number will replace the current ones and the new contract will be loaded onto the old number. If the old number is still in contract they will have to pay it in full.If it's a refresh account they will have to pay the phone plan. This is the only way to do it, and there is no need of waiting 2 months. (no idea why the store adviser said that)

Message 9 of 67

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for that @Anonymous it confirms that there are going to be difficulties with this I would think.

Message 10 of 67