cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapped Samsung to Iphone 5c

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I swapped my phone from Samsung to iphone 5c this afternoon. Put my new Sim into new phone about 4pm. I've stayed with O2 and same number, same deal but £1 dearer. I thought it would have swapped over to new phone by now but my Samsung is still working although when it beeps to say text received it won't show me them. I'm also getting all introductory texts from O2 to my old phone New phone says No Service at the top left corner.  I think I completed all the things iphone asked me to, location, signed into icloud, etc. So my question is, does it take longer for swap over than few hours? Last swap was 2 years ago to samsung and chap at shop did all stuff for me so quite unsure in this instance.

Thank you and apologies if this has been answered previously and especially if in wrong forum, I did check but couldn't see anything similar. 

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You can still set it up without the active sim so don't worry.

Keep an eye on your old sim and once that loses connection the swap has started. When that's done, reboot the iphone at 10 minute intervals until it connects to the network and gets signal. You can then text ACTIVE to 2020 and O2 will send the settings to you by text. Save the settings and reboot the iphone again and you should be good to go.

One thing though, check in My O2 at your data bolt on. It should be idata now. If it's not you need to contact customer service in the morning to get it changed over as it's a different data bolt on than the Samsung.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Have you done the sim swap or did the store do it?

Sounds like it hasn't gone through as your old sim should have lost network signal by now.

Fill in the form here : Swap my sim

Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I put the Sim in. Embarassingly only after watching a youtube video how to do it! I was trying to get back off the phone as I've done for years with mobiles. Anyway got wee bit on side off and put Sim in, if I've put in incorrectly would it still do all the set up process or does this mean I've done it correctly but it's just not started yet? Thank you so much for such a speedy reply and I filled in my number on link you provided, says it could take up to 30 minutes if busy

Message 3 of 23

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23174 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

A sim swap can actually take up to 24 hours, but it's usually much quicker. Your phone wouldn't function if the sim was in the wrong way. Try turning your new phone off and on every 30 minutes or so. If you've done the sim swap correctly, it should activate soon.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 23

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You can still set it up without the active sim so don't worry.

Keep an eye on your old sim and once that loses connection the swap has started. When that's done, reboot the iphone at 10 minute intervals until it connects to the network and gets signal. You can then text ACTIVE to 2020 and O2 will send the settings to you by text. Save the settings and reboot the iphone again and you should be good to go.

One thing though, check in My O2 at your data bolt on. It should be idata now. If it's not you need to contact customer service in the morning to get it changed over as it's a different data bolt on than the Samsung.

Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I thought phone wouldn't work if inserted incorrectly. Still waiting on code to be sent through so maybe things just a bit slow with O2 today.

Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry Jonsie, does reboot mean turn on and off again? I don't understand the last paragraph so I'll contact customer services anyway in the morning through their live chat to check everything is okay.

Thank you both so much for quick help.

Message 7 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 123226 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry Jonsie, does reboot mean turn on and off again? I don't understand the last paragraph so I'll contact customer services anyway in the morning through their live chat to check everything is okay.

Thank you both so much for quick help.

Reboot does mean turn phone on and off yes....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 23

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Yes reboot means switch phone off and back on.

Your phone will still work whichever data plan you have but for all features such as video voice mail and connecting your computer via the phone (tethering) you will need the specific iphone data.

Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleoriff, can you tell you're talking to an technological incompetent? Smiley Embarassed Smiley Very Happy Switching on and off like a mad woman here but just know with my luck there will be some problem!. I stuck with my samsung for 22 months even though it rarely worked just because I couldn't face asking questions in phone shop anymore!

Jonsie, thank you again for link. Just had text to my old phone to say 'Thank you, we have received your request to swap your sim. This can take up to 24 hours.' so fingers crossed. Going up North for few days tomorrow so would be nice to have a working phone

Message 10 of 23