cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5 major security issue???

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I upgraded from iphone 4 to iphone 5 on launch day.

Yesterday something very strange happened and I think it's a pretty serious problem!

I received a text message from a number that I don't know.  The text started 'Hi Anne' - so I know it wasn't intended for me.  I assumed that somebody had entered the wrong number, so I ignored the text.

A ouple of hours later, I received another text - this one from Anne, replying to the text I had received earlier.  It joined the thread of the original text message.  At this stage I assumed that I was part of a group text message, and somebody had my number by mistake.

However, when I checked - I now have the entire conversation history between these 2 people in my messages!  This includes messages they sent to each other last week - before I received the first message!!!

To put this in context.  Imagine you and your friend have been texting each other for weeks.  Tonight you send a text to this friend, but also to a 3rd person, asking them both if they fancy going out.  The third person can then see every message that you and your friend have sent to each other!

Called O2 this morning and they have taken details but have never heard of this before.  I still have the messages, and the thread is growing as these 2 people text one another.  I don't want to text and tell them as I don't give my number to strangers.

Got to be concerning if this is normal?  Anybody else experienced this?

Thanks

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

This I think is an Apple server issue rather than an iPhone 5 problem. See the following thread on the Apple forum.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3514331?start=0&tstart=0

I was worried about this so I followed Apple's advice by removing my sim card first and then resetting my old iPhone 4 using "Erase all Contents and Settings".

If you go to the last page on the thread and click on the link to take you into the Apple support profile where your registered devices are, you can remove old products, but I still don't think this resolves it, as I also did that after resetting my phone.

Luckily I sold my old iPhone 4 to a friend who gave it to his daughter, and they asked me to help set it up for her. However after we activated the phone with her sim card and set it up as a new phone, I was shocked to see that it retained some of my Apple ID's in some settings (itunes I think), but iMessage was ok. Fortunately I was able to go through those settings and just deleted my account details off the phone and set it with hers.

I suggest you log into your Apple ID profile page and make sure your old phone is not registered to you, and see if this stops the problem.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

How weird, make sure you keep a record of everything that goes on with this.

If it's a crossed line of some sort only O2 can sort this out.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 15

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Are they genuine sms or imessages?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Weirdly one of each! The messages from one of the people is showing grey as SMS, messages from the other person are blue like Imessages

Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

This I think is an Apple server issue rather than an iPhone 5 problem. See the following thread on the Apple forum.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3514331?start=0&tstart=0

I was worried about this so I followed Apple's advice by removing my sim card first and then resetting my old iPhone 4 using "Erase all Contents and Settings".

If you go to the last page on the thread and click on the link to take you into the Apple support profile where your registered devices are, you can remove old products, but I still don't think this resolves it, as I also did that after resetting my phone.

Luckily I sold my old iPhone 4 to a friend who gave it to his daughter, and they asked me to help set it up for her. However after we activated the phone with her sim card and set it up as a new phone, I was shocked to see that it retained some of my Apple ID's in some settings (itunes I think), but iMessage was ok. Fortunately I was able to go through those settings and just deleted my account details off the phone and set it with hers.

I suggest you log into your Apple ID profile page and make sure your old phone is not registered to you, and see if this stops the problem.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks - however, when I received the texts the old phone was still in my possession with no sim in it
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have deregistered the old phone anyway, so thanks for the tip.

Still dont think this caused the problem though as I still owned the old phone when the texts arrived!
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I must admit, the problem I mentioned should just allow iMessages to be seen, so the fact that you are receiving sms texts as well, made me wonder if it was the same issue.

I hope you find a solution to this.

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you still have your old iPhone 4 ?

The reason I ask is that if they send a lot of texts each day, then you could try putting your sim back into your old phone for a day to see if the texts stop.

This could help determine if it is really an iPhone 5 issue or something else.

Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

I have had something similar today.  I upgraded my iphone 3Gs Monday evening to ios 6.1.  This morning I had a text conversation with a friend.  This afternoon my partner and I were driving and talking, when we arrived at our destination he said he had just received a text from me.  It was an image of the conversation, except for the fact that it did not have my friends contact name on it but her number.  The image was accompanied by the imessage saying What is this? :L  

Neither one of us could have sent it as our phones were in our pockets and we were together, and also the contact name wasnt in the image.  

The security is now a concern for me.  Any ideas?

Message 10 of 15