cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible wifi performance Samsung GS2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I've always throught the performance of the wifi on my SGS2 was pretty bad but now it seems worse than ever.  Connecting to my BT Homehub 3 (not the best wifi AP I know) from upstairs and running a speed test on my SGS2 I get 150Kb/s while on my laptop from the same place I get 35Mb/s!

I'm not sure if the problem is since Jelly Bean or if I'm only realising its this bad since getting BT Infinity and running about 10000 speed tests! slight_smile

If anybody has some tips on how to improve performance or confirm any known issues I'd be very grateful.  I'm going to try changing some settings on the Homehub to see if that makes any difference, maybe forcing g wifi and going without n.

Thanks,

Rob.

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I think the best thing you can do is focus on the router rather than the phone. You should download wifi analyser from the app store and scan for any wifi signals on the same channel as you or one above or below. If you find there is someone sharing a channel, try manually changing. It is usally a case of trial and error with channels unforunatly.

Try this:

Write down each channel, manually change to one channel and note the upload and download speeds. Repeat for every channel then find which one is the best. Obviously, make sure nobody else is using the internet for anything intensive first. 

I think your right to try and disable wireless N for the time being, it definetly wouldn't hurt to try!

Other simple things to try:

Turn the router off and on

Forget connection on phone then reconnect

try re-positioning the router (or antennas if you have them) again, using the wifi analiser to evaluate strength

-Buy a couple of wireless repeaters and place them in low signal areas around the house.

Hopefully one of those work for you slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I think the best thing you can do is focus on the router rather than the phone. You should download wifi analyser from the app store and scan for any wifi signals on the same channel as you or one above or below. If you find there is someone sharing a channel, try manually changing. It is usally a case of trial and error with channels unforunatly.

Try this:

Write down each channel, manually change to one channel and note the upload and download speeds. Repeat for every channel then find which one is the best. Obviously, make sure nobody else is using the internet for anything intensive first. 

I think your right to try and disable wireless N for the time being, it definetly wouldn't hurt to try!

Other simple things to try:

Turn the router off and on

Forget connection on phone then reconnect

try re-positioning the router (or antennas if you have them) again, using the wifi analiser to evaluate strength

-Buy a couple of wireless repeaters and place them in low signal areas around the house.

Hopefully one of those work for you slight_smile

Message 2 of 2