• Waterproof
  • Dustproof
  • Scratchprook
Battery
  • Talk time: Up to 16 hours
  • Standby time: Up to 820 hours
  • Music listening time: Up to 110 hours
  • Video playback time: Up to 7 hours

I had the opportunity to play with the Sony Xperia Ultra and loved it. My first impression, thinking of it only as a phone and being a user of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 by comparison is, big.

I inserted my sim card and powered it up to the amazing 6.4inch screen with full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution paired with 342 pixels per inch density gives a sharp vivid display. Even with the brightness completely down the white is still bright and sharp.

The next thing that stood out was the weight and dimension. Although it is a very large phone, it is surprisingly quite light weight. The thickness is just right which gives a great grip when held in portrait mode and I found landscape mode equally comfortable. I was worried about carrying it around but was amazed that it actually fitted comfortably into my front pocket.

The camera was a bit of a let-down though but still took great pictures.

The 2.2MHz quad core CPU handled running multiple applications processing effortlessly while, browsing the Internet, watching videos and playing games, yet the battery life was by far more superior to my smart phone. Standby is almost as Sony specifies and talk time was good. The use the maps navigation however, depleted the battery quite quickly.

The durability of the phone, is probably the best thing about it. I did not try the water emersion test but I like the way it notifies when any of the unused port covers are opened. I was really looking forward to use the screen recognition feature by using a pen or pencil. At first I thought it only worked with sketchpad but after enabling the transcriber keyboard it was all singing and dancing for me. Being a user of the Note 3 I really like this feature but although Samsung’s Spen offers additional features I do like the ability to use a pen or pencil or any other pointed implements for writing and sketching.

In Summary;

Pros:- large screen with superb quality. Nice and light and has good grip with any orientation. Quite responsive and fast with great battery life. I loved it most for the transcribing capability and loved using it in meetings and seminars (Great for taking notes)

Cons:- Could be a bit too large for most people, the camera is not that great and the sound quality did not live up to Sony's quality.

Overall a great device but may not be for everyone. For those who enters the meeting or conference with a tablet, then this phone would be ideal for you. Two devices in one (phablet). A nice size screen to check your emails and great for taking those notes but if you need to make or take a call the device is also ready for that too. It is also great for the multimedia users too for game loves and movie watchers if you can live with the poor sound quality on the external speaker although headphones sounds great.

If you just want an everyday phone to make and receive call while checking the odd emails and Facebook then this phone may not be for you but thumbs up to Sony this is a great device which deserves its place in the market.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Great review @Anonymous nicely written
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks firsy one
Message 3 of 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Well done @Anonymous good review with helpful advice. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 11

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Nice review, well done.
Message 5 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123046 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Well done on your first review @Anonymous I enjoyed reading it. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 11

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

Thank you for your review. Sounds like it would be a tad big for me slight_smile

Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome review @Anonymous I loved the recommendations on who should and should not have this phone.
Why were you disappointed with the camera?
Message 9 of 11

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Lovely review @Anonymous 

Good to hear that its durable! This is a main reason I'm personally looking at getting a Sony next slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 10 of 11