cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost phone/lost without it

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, first time on here so be gentle with me ....

I lost my Galaxy S2 and all who sailed in her on a bus or shop counter etc two weeks ago with no comeback on my enquiries.

I have therefore come to terms with not having this phone anymore but now ...

I have a monthly O2 bill to pay for the contract (ends in Sept. 2013) but I no longer have a phone.

Friends have advised about contract buy-outs to enable starting a brand new contract with a new phone.

Others have mentioned insurance built into this original contract which should replace the phone.

Not sure of either of these.

Q1. Can/should I buy out existing contract and open a new contract with an S3 (which I wanted after August anyway) or wait until existing has ended when I would then have owned my lost phone.

Q2. Also, old phone was switched off at time of loss and GPS not active. Is there any way of tracking said phone or remotely accessing to retrieve the data/photos with !MEI number?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

First and immediately you have to inform O2 so they can block your account. Someone could be using your phone and running up a big bill for you!

You can buy out the remaining months of your contract. CS will give you the cost but it's your basic line rental (minus bolt ons) x the number of months reamining.

Your phone can be tracked by the IMEI number but unless you had specific software installed to track it you won't be able to, nor will you be able to get remote access to content.

If you took out insurance with your contract you could claim on that for a replacement phone or maybe your house insurance or bank account might cover it?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

First and immediately you have to inform O2 so they can block your account. Someone could be using your phone and running up a big bill for you!

You can buy out the remaining months of your contract. CS will give you the cost but it's your basic line rental (minus bolt ons) x the number of months reamining.

Your phone can be tracked by the IMEI number but unless you had specific software installed to track it you won't be able to, nor will you be able to get remote access to content.

If you took out insurance with your contract you could claim on that for a replacement phone or maybe your house insurance or bank account might cover it?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just on the back of the insurance part, i was stung once because i didn't report the phone as lost to my insurer within 3 working days. You may have missed the boat on this one but its definetly worth a try, also I report it stolen to the police. Yes, you may have lost it but then somebody stole it instead of handing it in. Some insurers only cover theft rather than loss and they will require a crime number which you can obtain from the police.

I know samsung has built in tracking software but not sure if you have to configure it or if it is on your device. Try loggin in here:

http://findmymobile.samsung.com/login.do

Fingers crossed it works slight_smile

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I know samsung has built in tracking software but not sure if you have to configure it or if it is on your device. Try loggin in here:

That has to have been previously activated on the phone.....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That has to have been previously activated on the phone.....

Is there not a prompt during original set up though? Pretty sure it is a default option, deffo worth a try.

To be fair, even if it was activated it has now been left for two weeks. Anybody with half a mind would factory reset the phone as soon as they found it anyway 😞

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
There's a chance it would work if the phone had the Samsung account logged in to it, but as you say, a factory reset would have cleared that anyway.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6