cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find out if my phone is locked to 02 or not?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to find out if my Samsung Galaxy i9300 is locked to O2 or not?  I bought the phone from Tesco on an o2 (2 year) monthly contract which is coming to an end soon.  I want to keep the phone for another 12 months, but I need to change the provider and use a Vodafone pay monthly SIM instead (so that I can get a signal in mid Wales).  Help appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144508 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
Usually contract phones bought from Tesco are locked.
If you dial *#1234# and you have an "O2U" CSC it would also indicate a lock.
The easiest way to check though is to put a Voda sim card in and see if it registers or not......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 144508 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
Usually contract phones bought from Tesco are locked.
If you dial *#1234# and you have an "O2U" CSC it would also indicate a lock.
The easiest way to check though is to put a Voda sim card in and see if it registers or not......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
When you turn your phone on does the screen go blue with a large o2 on it? If so then yes it is locked.

Either way as a contract customer you can unlock your phone for free. Just do a search on here for unlocking form or wait a little while and one of the team will surely send you a link. Your code should arrive in a few days. Follow the instructions then you can use it on any network (although the o2 logo will still appear at start up and software updates on your phone will be o2 controlled)
Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144508 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
When you turn your phone on does the screen go blue with a large o2 on it? If so then yes it is locked.

Not a 100% indication - It is possible to have an unlocked phone with branded firmware still....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Rich. Wasn't aware of that. 😀
Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 144508 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
It's OK mate - Never known one unbranded but locked but have seen many the other way round.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply MI5.  I dialled the code and got 'CSC: I93000XAGMK6' - so not sure what that tells me.  I've got a Voda PAYG SIM, but unfortunately it's the wrong size.   So I'll have to get one and try that to see if it registers on my samsung.  

Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 144508 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
OXA is generic UK firmware so there is a good chance you are unlocked slight_smile
Happy days......

Currently using:
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yay - hope so. I'll let you know once I've tried a Voda SIM. Happy days indeed (hopefully). Thanks very much.
Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 144508 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
No worries slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11