cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearing the decks on my phone HTC One

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I inherited this phone from a family member and mainly use it for browsing net, texting etc. I occassionally get messages saying phone is got a bug or something similar and other such crap. I also have all these google and other apps that I don't know why I need them but they seem to be linked into certain operations on the phone. Is there a way of setting the phone where I don't need al lthis crap on it?

I turned a lot of apps off recently and when I connect to data I get two messages saying unfortunatly google play or something has been turned off. Do I need this for browsing?

Short off resettting the phone to factory default, I'm really looking for a a way to go through phone and remove stuff I don't need but many times you don't know what it is going to break if I turn off or remove.

Also what is best way to virus scan it?

Hope someone can help

Andrew

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Google play is the App Store for Android phones. There are free antivirus apps on google play like avg
Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
Pop ups are usually caused by apps so you need something that will scan for these - they aren't actually viruses but just annoying spyware.
Airpush detector, AVG, or Cleansweep will find them.
You can turn off any of the google apps except play or google services.
The system will probably keep reminding you they are turned off though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 123516 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

@MI5as the op inherited the phone from a family member.. would a factory reset help?

I know some apps are built in to the phone system...but the others could be added if/when required?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
The op doesn't want to reset it, I don't think?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 5 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 123516 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

@MI5I just thought it might be easier than fiddling about ? (it would be easier for me anyway lol) Also as far as I am aware I don't have any anti virus software on my phone....(I didn't put any on anyway) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
It would be easier but not totally necessary in this case.
AV isn't really required on phones as no one ever got a virus as such. but annoying spyware can be detected by such apps.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 7 of 7