cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make international calls

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have a galaxy Y dual SIM unlocked phone. With both a Canadian Sim and O2. It works fine in Canada, and the O2 card works.. It has worked fine on previous trips to the UK, but this trip to the UK I can make local calls on the O2 card, but can't call to Canada. Tried several numbers and get the same long tone until the phone disconnects with a final beep. Works fine for calling numbers in the UK. Talked to an O2 agent in a store and he changed my tariff rate to an international one, but made no difference. I have also chatted to O2 guru on line 3 times and no solution... So I wonder if anyone in the O2 community has experienced this and solved it, I hope so.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145098 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
When did the tariff change take place?
You need to allow 24 hours to fully migrate, but it still does sound like an international call bar on the account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was told by the on line guru that there were no restrictions on my account. The tariff changes were made over 24 hours ago. I did try the SIM card in another phone, and got the same result, ie a long continuous tone not a busy tone and then it just disconnected so I don't think it is my phone
Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 123395 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I was told by the on line guru that there were no restrictions on my account. The tariff changes were made over 24 hours ago. I did try the SIM card in another phone, and got the same result, ie a long continuous tone not a busy tone and then it just disconnected so I don't think it is my phone

Maybe the std code you are using? Have a look at this link...

http://www.countrycallingcodes.com/mobile/mobile-codes.php?callfrom=United%20Kingdom&callto=Canada

00 + 1 + Area Code + The Number (Obviously leave the + symbol out)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the suggestion, I did check I was using the correct prefixes, and was using 00 1 then my area code etc. also tried + instead of the 00 and made no difference.
Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 123395 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I did check I was using the correct prefixes, and was using 00 1 then my area code etc. also tried + instead of the 00 and made no difference.

Maybe you need a new sim then as another suggestion? You can pick one up quickly at any O2 store...and they would swap everything over for you....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 145098 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
Still saying it's an account block......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, O2 did swap the SIM card, but the problem remains, new card took a while to become active, but still can't make international calls, fine for UK. Beginning to lose heart. Thank you for your suggestions
Message 8 of 12

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

MI5
  • 145098 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
A sim swap just directly replicates the settings that were applied to the old sim card.
If the old sim didn't allow Int calls, the new one won't either unless the account settings are changed by O2.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 10 of 12