Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Visual Voicemail

sjh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've just been cut over from a SIM-only Virgin Mobile plan to an O2 plan.  It was broadly seamless (except that incoming calls didn't work for a couple of hours, only outgoing, which absolutely was not mentioned in the migration FAQs!)

The migration message said we'd now get Visual Voicemail on 'some' Android devices, and as far as I can tell I'm eligible, I have the newest Pixel, and the dialler app has suddenly got a new tab on it called 'Voicemail'.

However, when I tap the button on that page to enable visual voicemail, I get an SMS after about one minute from "O2:" (yes, the sender name has a colon in it) saying "Sorry, your number doesn't support Visual Voicemail, so we can't set it up yet. Please contact your service provider for help."

What have I done wrong?  Do I need to actually tell O2 what model of phone I have first so they know it's supported so I can enable the feature on my account?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sjh
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Visual voicemail started working today.  However, yesterday I also went through to retentions and had them change my contract to a new cheaper one, so I don't know if it was activated because 'it takes five days to start working' or just moving onto the new o2 plan altered some of my settings enough to make the system realise I was eligible.

Either way, I've tested it and it works.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6693 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

Visual Voicemail on Android is a mess and never really been developed for Android.

I think one of our regulars may have it working on a Pixel 6A but that's about it.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10235 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

@sjh 

I would give it a few days and try again, as it will be waiting on o2's systems to catch up, and allow the service. 

It does work quite well on the newer Android phones, and on my Pixel Pro 7 and Fold 4  it worked flawlessly...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 7

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6693 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

@sjh 

I would give it a few days and try again, as it will be waiting on o2's systems to catch up, and allow the service. 

It does work quite well on the newer Android phones, and on my Pixel Pro 7 and Fold 4  it worked flawlessly...

Not on my S23+ it doesn't nor the S20+ before it.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10235 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

Odd, I have it on my 7 Pro and it works fine... 

To be honest it could be Samsung, as we have all sorts using VVM at work..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 7

sjh
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Visual voicemail started working today.  However, yesterday I also went through to retentions and had them change my contract to a new cheaper one, so I don't know if it was activated because 'it takes five days to start working' or just moving onto the new o2 plan altered some of my settings enough to make the system realise I was eligible.

Either way, I've tested it and it works.

Message 6 of 7

terminusaquo
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had two whole days of VVM on my Nokia 8.3 5G and now it's disappeared again. I wish O2 would make up their mind, either support VVM on Android or don't but they need to stop enabling and then disabling it.

Message 7 of 7