cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S7 Edge - Horrific Battery Life

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, I received by new S7 Edge last Friday, having come from a two year old note 4, I simply downloaded all the apps I was currently using thinking that would be just fine. I noticed that night that the phone had dropped 6% in as many hours just sat on the floor, only things on being wifi and AOD. Figured I'd give it a couple of days to settle in. So yesterday I tried wiping the cache, no improvement, so in the end I just did a factory reset. The only two apps I've installed are Facebook and Messenger (use them for work) everything else is stock. I'm still getting 6% battery drain at night, and worse, it visually chomps through battery life if I so much as touch the thing! I picked it up at 7am at 44%. Browsed a couple of websites via chrome, popped it down, checked a few emails, put it down etc.. by 815am it was at 25%. SO, question is, do these phones take a week or so to bed in OR do I have a screwy battery? Sorry to ask yet another battery related question!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Most batteries perform better after a few charge cycles. To be honest your first point about losing 6% in 6 hours is perfectly normal. Apps like Facebook and email will be fetching new items whether the phone is just lying around or not.
Message 2 of 10

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually I would agree, however my note 4 would typically loose maybe 2 to 3% over 6 hours. Other users have also expressed the same.

The way in which the device eats through battery whilst in use though is alarming. Just typing up a message to someone ate through 3% of battery, screen was on maybe 2 minutes tops.

Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

My Note 4 uses 4-6% over 5 hours when sleeping but I have 6 email accounts all fetching emails every hour as well as various social apps. 

I would give it a week after a few charges and check how it performs. If you still aren't happy with it send it back. 

Message 5 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 123203 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

It does seem excessive if honest. The S7 Edge is supposed to have a much longer battery life than the S6/Edge http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-1315189/review/5

If you want to swap it out remember you have 14 days to change your mind (28 days if faulty)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got off the phone to someone at 02 now. I wanted something on my notes to say I'd noticed the battery being a little odd and that I'm going to give it a little longer to see how it settles. They if I feel it is faulty I can return it within 28 days of last friday. I'll probably give it until the weekend to settle and see how it's going.

My previous note 4 was rock solid from the get go, that said, my previous nexus phone did take a few cycles to settle in so hopefully it's just a similar situaion.

Message 7 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 123203 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Yes a couple of articles I have read say it 'may take a few days to settle'.....At least you have the option to change if it isn't suiting you. Let us know how you get on with it @Anonymous?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed. Something I just read from a friend caught my eye though. Since last Thursday I've been charging to 100% then pulling the device from charge almost right away. Said friend said that he was having battery issues UNTIL he left the phone to charge over night for about 8 hours. After that the device was much better. So the question begs, although the phone stops drawing power once the battery is full, does leaving it on charge help calibrate the battery during early days?

Message 9 of 10

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous How's your phone's battery life now - did it end up settling in the end? slight_smile

Message 10 of 10