Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lollipop for S5, now live!

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Lollipop, lollipop, where for art thou lollipop?

I am here, says Lollipop while standing atop a shiny Samsung Galaxy S5!

Okay enough of the ye olde talk – Lollipop means business. If you thought Jellybean was buttery smooth, then you’ve not seen what Lollipop can do. This is a major platform update and isn’t just a collection of minor bug fixes or anything like that… This is a full blown update – new eye candy, new & fresh menus, new features – all while keeping the system running smooth & fluid while keeping your battery life in check too. You can find out here what Lollipop can do > http://www.android.com/versions/lollipop-5-0/

The update is now live via KIES and should be live via OTA update towards the end of the week, so go grab it now and let us know your thoughts on the new update

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 218
217 REPLIES 217

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Have you done a factory reset since the update to get rid of unwanted files. Always recommended but make sure you  back  up  first.

Message 41 of 218

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've given up on Kies. Neither I (windows user) nor my housemate (Mac user) can get it to work. I guess I'll have to wait patiently for the OTA update. No sign of it yet....
Message 42 of 218

Robsa
Level 3: Thinker
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes, you can go back to KitKat without affecting knox or invalidating warranty. It's very simple. Although, I found the UK ROMs awful; slow, buggy and freezing with high battery drain. I don't know why, but the polish and Spanish ROMs seem to be better. I'm now running the Spanish lollipop on my O2 S5.
I'll wait until 5.0.2 is released before installing the UK O2 rom.
Message 43 of 218

Robsa
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
By the way, guys, the reason why factory reset is important is not Samsung's fault. It's because lollipop uses a new Java VM (Virtual machine) which operates in a fundamentally different way to the old one. This is absolutely key to the phone operations.
A factory reset will ensure it runs cleanly. I know it's annoying, but it's much less annoying than FCing, freezing and drain.

I would be interested though to see how many still have those problems even after a factory reset. I did. I had to install Spanish lollipop to sort it out.

Cheers.
Message 44 of 218

Robsa
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Zephyr, message me if you want to put lollipop on without kies. It's simple and won't affect your warranty.
Message 45 of 218

MI5
  • 144393 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Robsa wrote:
Yes, you can go back to KitKat without affecting knox or invalidating warranty.

Sorry, but no, you can't.

Any roll back of firmware level will trip the Knox fuse.

If you get 0x1 your warranty is voided.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 46 of 218

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Galaxy S5 and I've downloaded Kies but it doesn't give me the option to update. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any help you can provide

shaun_worcs

slight_smile

Message 47 of 218

MI5
  • 144393 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Where did you get the phone?
Have you had it since new?
Dial *#1234# and let me know the CSC.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 48 of 218

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got it from the O2 shop early last year, new.

The CSC is G900FO2U1ANH1
Message 49 of 218

MI5
  • 144393 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
On the face of it there's no reason why you shouldn't be offered the update.
Has the phone ever been in for repair or have you flashed any different firmware or rooted it at any time in the past?

Currently using:
Message 50 of 218