O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Android Devices (Samsung, HTC, Sony Ericsson, etc.)

Reply
gk
Level 2: Apprentice
gk
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎19-07-2012
Accepted Solution

HTC One Charging

Got the HTC One in an O2 store and was informed I wouldnt get a charger with it, but i could use my other chargers I already have (my old Iphone ones). This was fine as i have quite a few iphone chargers and also a belkin one. However I noticed charging was taking a long long time 3-4hours and still not getting to 100%, I checked the power settings in the phone and it informed me that it was "Charging (USB)" and not "Charging (AC)" as I would expect it to when plugged in to the wall socket. So presumably the "Charging (USB)" is not as powerful as AC and therefore takes longer to charge. 

 

Shouldnt my iphone and belkin chargers show as AC, if not how do I get it to show as AC, do I need to buy another charger, meaning the advice in the shop about being able to use my iphone charger as it would work the same as the HTC charger is incorrect?

Please use plain text.
damien1
Posts: 5,612
Topics: 77
Blog Posts: 0
Registered: ‎13-04-2012

Re: HTC One Charging

I don't honestly know the answer to your question but I was also led to believe that an iPhone charger or similar would work fine with your htc I cannot see why it wouldn't as I'm sure the iphone charger is more than powerful enough
Please use plain text.
damien1
Posts: 5,612
Topics: 77
Blog Posts: 0
Registered: ‎13-04-2012

Re: HTC One Charging

[ Edited ]
Having had a further look into this it would seem it is to do with the cable rather than the charger apparantly some USB cables are different and only certain ones will charge on ac
Please use plain text.
gk
Level 2: Apprentice
gk
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎19-07-2012

Re: HTC One Charging

Thanks for looking in to this... I am however using the USB cable that came in the box with the HTC One... Its a strange one! I think the O2 store offered me one for £7 but not sure if that was an HTC one or an O2 charger... if the iphone one isnt doing the job then im not convinced the O2 one would either, but ill maybe go buy it and see.
Please use plain text.
MI5
Posts: 17,219
Topics: 180
Solutions: 2,365
Registered: ‎04-04-2012

Re: HTC One Charging

I would hazard a guess that the USB cable that came with the phone would be designed for data transfer between a PC/Laptop, you may find you need a fixed wire wall charger to get the full AC charging.
Samsung S3 i9305 Dual SIM Three UK / giffgaff
HTC One O2 4G Unlimited
Samsung ATIV s EE 4G
Please use plain text.
damien1
Posts: 5,612
Topics: 77
Blog Posts: 0
Registered: ‎13-04-2012

Re: HTC One Charging

Yes it does seem very strange if your using the cable supplied I saw some info saying only the official cables would charge at ac but as your using that I find it odd do let us know how you get on if you do decide to buy one
Please use plain text.
gk
Level 2: Apprentice
gk
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎19-07-2012

Re: HTC One Charging

Also I installed "Battery Monitor" app, not sure if this is the best app or not as im new to android but it shows 38% charge with an estimate of 5.5hrs to full charge, which is a long time in my opinion to charge the remaining 62%.

Its showing 467ma of charge coming in, altho it dropped to 150ma when i was holding it, not sure why. Id imagine a charger working in AC mode should get closer to 1000ma ... the iphone and belkin chargers have 1amp written on them.
Please use plain text.
damien1
Posts: 5,612
Topics: 77
Blog Posts: 0
Registered: ‎13-04-2012

Re: HTC One Charging

Yes that would seem logical too bit of a swizz though in my opinion
Please use plain text.
damien1
Posts: 5,612
Topics: 77
Blog Posts: 0
Registered: ‎13-04-2012

Re: HTC One Charging

I think the cable is at fault
Please use plain text.
jonsie
Posts: 16,671
Topics: 139
Solutions: 1,692
Registered: ‎04-01-2009

Re: HTC One Charging

I would get rid of the battery app personally but I  too think the cable is at fault.

Chat | Contact | O2 Status | Lengthen RingTime | O2 Travel | O2 Help Guides | Complaint | Unlock Phone


I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!



Please use plain text.