cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC One Charging

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got the HTC One in an O2 store and was informed I wouldnt get a charger with it, but i could use my other chargers I already have (my old Iphone ones). This was fine as i have quite a few iphone chargers and also a belkin one. However I noticed charging was taking a long long time 3-4hours and still not getting to 100%, I checked the power settings in the phone and it informed me that it was "Charging (USB)" and not "Charging (AC)" as I would expect it to when plugged in to the wall socket. So presumably the "Charging (USB)" is not as powerful as AC and therefore takes longer to charge. 

Shouldnt my iphone and belkin chargers show as AC, if not how do I get it to show as AC, do I need to buy another charger, meaning the advice in the shop about being able to use my iphone charger as it would work the same as the HTC charger is incorrect?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

information on the specifications for this can be found here http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/rtte/chargers/index_en.htm if you dig into the tech spec document sheet.

An iphone ac wall charger is rated at 1000ma so complies with the standard of output power between 500ma - 1500ma

The htc one is supplied in some areas with a 1000ma (1amp) ac wall cahrger http://www.htc.com/uk/smartphones/htc-one/?PS=1&cid=sem179p106600#specs so the apple one is the same spec.

You could try another usb cable that has a larger cable size

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 11 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just tried the cable from a kindle but same result. Ill pop in to o2 and see what they say.
Message 12 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let us know the outcome I'm intrigued now:)
Message 13 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an HTC One and can confirm that not all cables will give a full AC charge. As an example, I usually buy the official HTC car kit for my phones, previously Desire, Sensation and One X, and these kits include a longer cable (to reach the cars **bleep** lighter socket) If I charge the phone via one of these cables it never seems to reach 100% charged, also the phone will not connect to my laptop, only taking a charge, whereas the short cable supplied with the phone does connect and charge to 100%.

Don't understand the tech' behind all this, but it does appear that you will only get a full AC charge from an OE HTC charger cable as supplied with the phone - i am finding it takes 3 hours from almost flat.

Just as an aside, why was there not an OE charger supplied with the handset?

Message 14 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok then, cigar lighter, not **bleep** !!

Message 15 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It's an environmentally friendly decision to not supply chargers as many people supposedly have drawers full of them already.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes sense (no pun intended :smileywink:) I suppose - thinking about it, the charger for my wifes Note 11 works perfectly with my One, and vice-versa

Message 17 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

So i connected the cable that came with the phone to my nikon usb camera charger and it came up as AC charging, and charges quicker.

That suggests the cable is not at fault as the same cable used with the Apple and Belkin chargers shows as USB charging.

Also I went in to the O2 store and tried to explain what I was experiencing but they werent very technical and just kept telling me to bring back the phone and get a replacement as it must be broke, i tried several times to explain the difference between USB and AC charging but it wasnt getting through so I left and bought a charger from Argos, which is a normal charger and it shows up as AC also.

Although both the Nikon and the argos charger are 600ma chargers, so I still want to get a 1amp charger (that works!) to improve the experience a bit more. Im still baffled as to why the apple and belkin chargers dont work in AC mode though, now that ive ruled out the cable.

Message 18 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Can only assume its a connection issue at the usb to plug end, but at least the phone is working and charging OK now.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a very weird one might be worth buying the htc charger

Message 20 of 26