Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading an unlatched airtime

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12088 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

So I took out a deal for a phone and airtime on 30th Sept 2021.

With the regulation about airtime and device plans having to be separated after 2 years, I should be able to "upgrade" my airtime to a new deal (at a lower price).

Following the sterling advice from others, I have chosen a new plan through Uswitch and then follow the steps.

What is odd is that after entering my details and saying I want to upgrade, it then tells me that I have to pay off the remaining device plan to upgrade or wait to 29 Sept 2024.

Surely this is not right?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144550 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions

@gmarkj 

You need to have taken the original contract after December 17th 2021.

For customers who took out an O2 Refresh contract before 17 December 2021
If you cancel your Airtime Plan and there's an outstanding amount left on your Device Plan, you must pay this in full when you end your contract.

For customers who took out an O2 Refresh contract on or after 17 December 2021
If you decide to end your Airtime Plan within the first 24 months of the Device Plan, you’ll need to pay off your Device Plan in full when you end your contract.

If you're cancelling after 24 months but still within the minimum term of your Device Plan, your Airtime and Device Plans are unlinked. This means you can either; (i) continue paying for your Device Plan in instalments, or (ii) pay off your Device Plan in full.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/leaving-o2#:~:text=If%20you're%20cancelling%20after,yo....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144550 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions

@gmarkj 

You need to have taken the original contract after December 17th 2021.

For customers who took out an O2 Refresh contract before 17 December 2021
If you cancel your Airtime Plan and there's an outstanding amount left on your Device Plan, you must pay this in full when you end your contract.

For customers who took out an O2 Refresh contract on or after 17 December 2021
If you decide to end your Airtime Plan within the first 24 months of the Device Plan, you’ll need to pay off your Device Plan in full when you end your contract.

If you're cancelling after 24 months but still within the minimum term of your Device Plan, your Airtime and Device Plans are unlinked. This means you can either; (i) continue paying for your Device Plan in instalments, or (ii) pay off your Device Plan in full.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/leaving-o2#:~:text=If%20you're%20cancelling%20after,yo....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12088 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

Ah, so I can't "cancel" my airtime until my device is paid off because I took my deal out before the full unlatching came into effect.

Well that's just typical of my luck!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144550 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions

Yep, bad timing unfortunately mate.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4