cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Porting Question

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, this is my first post on the O2 forum so please be gentle with me! 

I joined O2 from Vodafone yesterday and I have had a text to say that my number will be ported tomorrow and to turn my phone off until 6pm.  Now this is probably a silly question but which phone?!  I currently have my old phone with my Vodafone SIM and my new phone with my O2 SIM - do I need to turn them both off?

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here but I don't want to do anything wrong!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Tracey,

Just to let you know.

We currently have a small issue with ports that's being worked on so your porting may be delayed. However, it should go through within the next few hours :).

Do come back later today if you're still waiting.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145054 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
Your old SIM will automatically disconnect. When this happens it means the port has started. All you need to do is reboot your new SIM/Phone until it connects. No need to keep any phone off throughout that period.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  That's what I'd read on various internet pages but the text from O2 confused me!

Message 3 of 13

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

There is no real need to turn the phone off until you notice the Vodaphone sim has lost network connection. Once that happens the port has begun. Switch your new phone on/off periodically until you get connected to O2. This can take anything from a few minutes to a few hours.

Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 145054 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
Don't worry, but bear in mind you may not get all services connected at the same time. It can take upto 24 hours for everything to start working properly....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again.  One last (I hope!) question - I cannot send picture messages.  I have received an email from O2 with a link to settings but this won't open in Safari.  I have also tried copying and pasting the link but that won't open either.  Would I be better to wait until after the number port before contacting customer services?  I don't know if it makes any difference - as you can tell I have never ported a number before!

Thank you again.

Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 145054 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
Wait until your number is ported across then just do a reset of your network settings and check for any carrier updates.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again!

Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 145054 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
Let us know how you get on slight_smile

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it's 2.30 on number porting day and both numbers are still active - should I be worried yet?!

Message 10 of 13