cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM

Anonymous
Not applicable

My contract with O2 for my Samsung Galaxy smartphone finished in March. I've finally got around to looking at my options and checking how I used data. I'm keeping my phone but changing to a  Pay monthly 30 day contract for £9.50 a month. I've just received a new SIM through the post and now I'm a bit confused! 

Do I need to SIM swap? The info says No, if it's your first Pay Monthly tariff, (  which it is ), but also says Yes, if you're upgrading your phone on a Pay Monthly tariff - we're asking all our customers to update their sims when they upgrade. I'm thinking no, as I'm not really upgrading, but then why send it? Can anyone advise? 

If I need to put the new SIM in, is there somewhere I can find out how to transfer stuff from the current phone?

Ali.

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much, you've put my mind at rest!

No rush to do anything then, but hang onto the new SIM in case I ever find I can get 4G, then I could swap out. 

You guys are brill! Response so quick and helpful. Was dreading having to go back to the O2 shop, went in last week and had to wait 30mins in a queue to speak to someone, now I'm sat at home in the warm and my questions answered!

Ali33

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123351 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

New sims are normally 4G which is why they are sent out with new contracts. (I had the same ...my old one was 3G only

You may have to do a sim swap.

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I would do one just to be sure.
All your content should stay on the phone as it was, it's not stored on the sim.
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick response.

I did a check and I can't get 4G where I live, so is there any point in swapping out?

Ali33

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I recived new sim card today (replacement i lost my phone). I put this card in to my new unlocked phone and i can't get network connection show me only an emergency call

Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 123351 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.

I did a check and I can't get 4G where I live, so is there any point in swapping out?

Ali33

@Anonymous  Well I didn't swap mine for 2 months. I did in the end because I travelled to areas which did have 4G. It is up to you however...there is no rush at all wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 123351 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Take the sim card out of the phone and reinsert it . Reboot the phone by turning off and back on and see if that works?

If it doesn't its probably because you lost your phone and your account has been blocked. You will need to contact CS to unblock it... http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much, you've put my mind at rest!

No rush to do anything then, but hang onto the new SIM in case I ever find I can get 4G, then I could swap out. 

You guys are brill! Response so quick and helpful. Was dreading having to go back to the O2 shop, went in last week and had to wait 30mins in a queue to speak to someone, now I'm sat at home in the warm and my questions answered!

Ali33

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 123351 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

When I eventually had mine swapped over @Anonymous I took it instore and they did it all for me. Took 10minutes in total. Best of luck...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Did you just give yourself one.
Tut.
Message 10 of 12