cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone used O2 in Sweden?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I'm looking for feedback on using O2 in Sweden, specifically roaming on Telia. I will be in the North of Sweden for a few weeks and Telia is the only network with a signal. I have been on live chat and been assured that I can roam on Telia, however, no-one seems to know if I will be able to use 3G or 4G. One person said no and the other said I should be able to. Before I commit to an expensive contract I could really do with finding out for sure. Anyone got any experience? Thanks!

Message 1 of 32
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144774 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27735 Solutions
I can guarantee 100% that you will NOT get 4g.
3g worked OK the last time I was there but it was a few years ago and cannot remember which network I connected to.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

MI5
  • 144774 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27735 Solutions
I can guarantee 100% that you will NOT get 4g.
3g worked OK the last time I was there but it was a few years ago and cannot remember which network I connected to.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 123193 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You can use O2 travel in sweden The charge is £1.99 a day. All rates here

http://www.o2.co.uk/o2travelupdate

Edited to add I have given the rates only. @MI5 has told you about 4G....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 32

MI5
  • 144774 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27735 Solutions
and data speeds will be hopelessly slow too, so don't expect to stream anything.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 32

evantkh
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I would suggest using a SIM from the destination as to avoid unclear roaming terms and conditions, such as the speed and whether you can use LTE.

The exception would be some countries like South Korea where you need to make a request to put your device on their whitelist before you can use a local SIM.
Message 5 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 123193 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Using a local sim is a good idea.. but only practical if your phone is unlocked before you go abroad...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have looked at local sims - not cheap but I will need to get one for data as it's the only option for internet. O2 was mainly for calls and texts as a local sim isn't cheap for calls to UK. In regards 3G etc I would not be streaming. Only checking emails etc. Thanks. 

Message 7 of 32

MI5
  • 144774 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27735 Solutions
There is no confusion about LTE at all.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 32

MI5
  • 144774 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27735 Solutions
Use Tugo over wifi (or by using a local sim in phone for data) and all calls and texts back to the UK will be free.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 32

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23172 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@Anonymous As you haven't taken out a contract yet, you might want to look at Three. You can roam in Sweden for no extra charge on whatever tariff you take with them. I don't know what kind of speeds you would get, but it might be worth speaking to them to find out.

Edit: Just looked at Three's coverage in Sweden and it doesn't look great in the north, so maybe it isn't a great idea after all. It may very well be that as @MI5 has said that coverage in Sweden isn't good for any provider, even local Swedish ones.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 32